*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/712370-NaNoWriMo-done
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(119)
by Jeff
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1399999
My primary Writing.com blog.
#712370 added November 26, 2010 at 1:53pm
Restrictions: None
NaNoWriMo... done!
** Image ID #1727843 Unavailable **


BOOM. There it is. This year's NaNoWriMo is officially over (at least for me, in terms of my writing), and I can proudly raise my glass and say that I finished it this year. After a dismal showing last year, I've redeemed myself in 2010 and increased my track record to two successful finishes in three attempts.

This was a tough year for me. New job, the "NaNoWriMo Write-A-Thon which is bigger than ever this year, and quite a few other obligations both on this site and in my life offline. I freely admit that I hated my story and the last half was pretty much an exercise is perseverance (or stubbornness), where I was just trying to finish for the sake of being finished. I wasn't really ever invested in my story, which is probably why a mystery-esque drama for the first 25,000 spent the last half of the word count including fantasy, science fiction, erotica (lots of erotica! *Bigsmile*), action sequences, ninjas, supernatural phenomena, and travel. *Laugh*

What did I learn from NaNoWriMo this year? I learned that I can't do it again without a plan in place. This is the third straight year I've gone into the competition without any prep work. The first year (2008), I signed up at the last minute and just started writing. Last year, I had an idea, but no plan, and ran out of steam. This year, I had an idea, but also no plan, and it was a struggle to finish. More than anything, I'm realizing that there's no upside to NaNo if you don't have a plan going in. If you're winging it, it really is a pointless exercise, and other than the satisfaction of saying that you finished the challenge, there's not a lot you have to show for your efforts. Except a rough draft of a story that you're not really interested in... and let's be honest... 50,000 words is a hell of a lot of words to waste on something you're not passionate about. Right? *Worry*

So that's my promise to myself. Regardless of what else I have going on in my life, if I can't find the time to put together a decent outline for a story and characters that interest me, I'm not going to participate in future NaNoWriMos. It's just too exhausting, and too much work to put into something that I know is going to be buried in the darkest recesses of my hard drive and never see the light of day again. I love NaNoWriMo and I would love to compete every year... but I need to respect myself and my time enough to know that I'm not just throwing it away on a trivial exercise. If I'm going to write 50,000 words, I want it to count toward something... not just be a one-off story that I know I'll never seriously consider reworking.

So there it is. Three past NaNoWriMos, two successful, all with stories chosen and written off the cuff. It's been a great three years, filled with fun, frenzy, and furiously flying fingers on a keyboard... but now it's time to take NaNoWriMo (and my writing efforts) a little more seriously. No more sudden ninja attacks, or sporadic, marathon lovemaking sessions just to bolster the 'ol word count. *Bigsmile*

Congratulations to everyone who's finished NaNo, or is still attempting to cross the finish line. You all have my most profound respect; it's not easy, and I hope that your novels are coming out the way you hoped they would. *Smile*

© Copyright 2010 Jeff (UN: jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jeff has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/712370-NaNoWriMo-done