*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/712825-The-Sea-Shepards-New-Weapon
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1197218
Reflections and ruminations from a modern day Alice - Life is Wonderland
#712825 added December 1, 2010 at 12:34pm
Restrictions: None
The Sea Shepard's New Weapon
I'm all for conservation. I spent a large portion of my life studying science, marine science, to be specific and so I am emotionally engineered to want to protect our seas and all its inhabitants. I watched The Cove and was horrified with images of the senseless slaughter of the dolphins in Japan. I was outraged by the oil spill in the gulf, and moved by the pictures of oil-soaked pelicans struggling out of the surf. I am heartbroken over that fact that the cruel practice of shark finning still continues despite the devastating decline in the species worldwide. There are so many abuses, it is impossible to highlight them all. I really feel the oceans are our greatest resource and it is our children's children that will pay the ultimate price of our often thoughtless actions. The rate at which coral reefs disappear, important apex predators are eradicated and delicate ecosystems are mortally wounded, is staggering. I try to remain conscious. I sign petitions, join causes, help spread awareness, even donate when I am able. I have tremendous respect for those individuals who devote their lives to conservation, those scientist, environmentalists, teachers and concerned human beings that place themselves on the front lines in a daily battle against ignorance and depraved indifference, government bureaucracy and the industry giants and their great belching machines of progress. Having said that, I find myself disturbed by the pictures of the Godzilla, the latest "weapon" in the Sea Shepards Conversation Society's arsenal. This 115 foot vessel looks expensive, more so than its predecessor, the Andy Gil, which was destroyed in a collision with a Japanese whaler. Built for speed and maneuverability, and looking like something out of future, this new recruit is designed to locate and intercept the factory ship which is, apparently, the best way to cripple taking of whales. Here is the part that bothers me...it has to have cost someone or several someones, millions of dollars. Are we sure that those millions of dollars could not have been put to better use in some other area that has wider scope perhaps? Sure, the boat looks cool, intimidating even. I can imagine the new drama it will bring to the cameras during the brief three month whaling season. But it is necessary? Admittedly, I am not a big fan of the series Whale Wars. The few episodes I did catch failed to impress me. After watching the crew of the Sea Shepard capsize their own launch and partake in "bottle-throwing" classes on the deck, I prayed the whales had more than a little luck going for them if these people proved to be their sole line of defense. I am willing to admit I might be biased. Its just that when there are so many species being exploited, many without ever seeing media coverage let alone a television series, it is hard to rally behind these folks and get excited about their new, super expensive toys. I'm sure there are many hard working and dedicated scientists, devoted humanitarians and armies of volunteers out there that could have used the money it took to bring the Godzilla to life to fund many projects to preserve and protect endangered species, conduct important research on the ecological impacts of overfishing worldwide, work to repair damaged ecosystems and so many countless other severely underfunded and under supported efforts.

© Copyright 2010 MD Maurice (UN: maurice1054 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
MD Maurice has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/712825-The-Sea-Shepards-New-Weapon