*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/713224-Rudolf
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#713224 added December 9, 2010 at 4:06pm
Restrictions: None
Rudolf
      Everyone knows the song of Rudolf, the Red-Nosed Reindeer. As a faithful customer of Montgomery Wards until they shut down their last and most successful store, I know his story well. He was created for and promoted by the company.

      Every Christmas, Montgomery Wards gave away free coloring books. They bought the books from another company, but decided that in 1939, they would give their own books, exclusively designed for them. Robert L May created the character and story, although he did it in a style more like The Night Before Christmas than the song we know. He was moved by his own childhood to create a character who had been picked on but turned out to be a hero. He was smaller than the other kids and knew first hand the pain of name-calling and exclusion.He knew that children would respond to the story. He was right. It was so successful, Wards marketed Rudolf every year.

    Later Johnny Marks, a Jewish radio producer, changed the story and set it to music. The basic elements stayed the same, but Santa never met Rudolf until Christmas Eve by accident in the original version.  He peeked in a window to see what the red light was in the blinding snow. Parents would not be keen on peeking toms, or children going to help strangers on big missions. Having Santa and Rudolf acquainted in advance eliminated the negative possibilities. (Marks also wrote "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree", "Have a Holly Jolly Christmas", and "Rudolf Run".)

    The song was presented to Gene Autry, who thought it was stupid and rejected it. Mrs. Autry loved it and suggested he do it anyway. He appeased her and history was made. It was a number one song in December 1949. The following week, it wasn't even on the charts, the only song in history  to go from #1 to completely drop off the charts in one week (January) .

    Every year after that, Wards did something to promote Rudolf. They printed books, made ornaments, stuffed Rudolf dolls, and sold records, then tapes. Now Rudolf has been recorded by many artists and is available on CD's and You-Tube. In the sixties, the story was embellished into a TV show and new generations have grown up with this annual show, as well as the song. Without Wards to promote him, Rudolf still lives and reigns with children and adults alike.

   

© Copyright 2010 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/713224-Rudolf