*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/713468-Female-Writers-Yikes
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#713468 added December 14, 2010 at 1:03am
Restrictions: None
Female Writers, Yikes
Female writers…yikes!

Most female writers see their creations in exactly the same way as they do their children. If you want to make one mad, do a critique and imply that something needs improving….It’s like saying her kid needs contacts instead of those funny looking glasses... When you do, put on your Kevlar helmet and flak-jacket because you’re going to need it.

I recently had a female writer (who is one of my favorites) make a glaring tactical error and request a review. I really like her style and there was this class where we had to write some serial vignettes. Her’s was a great story and I waited anxiously each week for her to post so I could read the latest installment. Anyway at the end of the class was a requirement to pull the whole thing together and I was really impressed with the job she did.

So I said to myself…This is an experienced writer, who is also talented, who is so interested in improving her writing skills that she has actually asked me to do a review…so I did one and she was very gracious, acting every bit the lady that she is. Still I suspected something was amiss, like she was rummaging about in her closet for a souvenir she had stashed away....maybe a grenade her little brother sent from Iraq.

It came as a reciprocal review, elegantly wrapped in a silk glove…My CRT screen is still smoking….It was a great review and I learned a lot from it and if I liked this young woman before… I 'm even more impressed now. *RollEyes*

It was actually a review that made me step back and reassess and for an old curmudgeon set in his ways, that is saying something….However, I don’t recommend you make a deliberate attempt to solicit such a review. All you have to do is ask a female writer to reciprocate and then tell her honestly that her son has a wart on his nose….I guarantee you will get a great review…just make sure you're in the basement when the heat-round comes zinging through your lap-top.

© Copyright 2010 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/713468-Female-Writers-Yikes