*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/713690-Second-Draft
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#713690 added December 15, 2010 at 10:37pm
Restrictions: None
Second Draft
Second Draft

Tonight I finished an outline of my novella “Habit of Despair.” I know I should have had an outline before I even started but it’s hard to do an outline if you don’t know what the story line is. It was really convoluted the way this got written and I hesitate to even discuss it because it was done in such an illogical way.

It all started two months ago with a House of Sensual Prose (HSP) final. I really liked the way it came out so I kept my characters talking and wrote down where they told me the story was heading. When the underlying story was finished, it was then that I realized the need for an outline for inputting the research…But it was more than this….My supporting characters turned into the main characters about halfway through and I had to go in and hype them up and down play my old main characters.

I wanted to do this paperless and succeeded by using an old and a new laptop…The old laptop held the outline and the new one the chapters of the story. I could have done this with a desktop and a laptop or even a split screen but it sure is cleaner not to have all those notebooks and index cards lying about. Going through each chapter I pulled out the scenes into the outline.

Concurrently I got a new Dummies book and Leslie Wainger pointed out a lot of things I simply hadn’t considered in doing the first cut which I can now work in to the second draft. There are so many huge changes yet to come I hesitate to even call this a second draft.

© Copyright 2010 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/713690-Second-Draft