*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/714792-The-Decision---Flash-Fiction
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1197218
Reflections and ruminations from a modern day Alice - Life is Wonderland
#714792 added January 5, 2011 at 4:22pm
Restrictions: None
The Decision - Flash Fiction
It was the sound of breaking glass that brought the dog to her decision. In a movement that was lightning quick, Rudy stepped protectively between our bodies and barred her teeth. Seconds before, when we had pushed and shoved at each other, her soft brown eyes had darted back and forth, wary and confused. She had not known which master to align with, which one of us required her protection more. Then, you had shoved me hard with the full force of your rage, continuing to spit and curse at me as I slipped backwards. The momentum carried me halfway across the kitchen. I crashed into the glass door and it exploded. Shards of glass tore into the back of my arms, my shoulders and my scalp. I landed in a pool of sharp edges. Rudy sprang into action. She backed up into me, her tawny coat shining, the powerful muscles rippling underneath. You took a step toward me and she issued a low and menacing growl. It was the only warning you would get. There was no question that she would use everything she had in her to keep me safe. The same sweet dog that cuddled with you each night would not hesitate to take you down now.

"Rudy, its okay girl.” You coaxed, but your voice only elicited volley of barking and snarling.

I struggled to my feet and shook the glass from my clothes, gingerly accessed my wounds with my fingertips. Rudy fell in beside me. I placed my hand on her massive head.

“Good girl Rudy.” I whispered.

Your face was purple and mottled with anger and shock. You twitched with fury.

“You better back off now.” I warned, “you have a decision to make. Rudy has already made hers.”


© Copyright 2011 MD Maurice (UN: maurice1054 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
MD Maurice has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/714792-The-Decision---Flash-Fiction