*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/714286-A-Showtunes-Kinda-Day
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1197218
Reflections and ruminations from a modern day Alice - Life is Wonderland
#714286 added December 29, 2010 at 12:04pm
Restrictions: None
A Showtunes Kinda Day
While I have had plenty of fodder to write about, between the holiday crush and holding down things at the office, there hasn't been the time. Christmas was remarkable. It takes on a whole new dimension when you have a child. Jaden's first Christmas brought back all the fresh excitment and anticipation that fades as we age. At just under a year, I'm not sure how much she understood all that was happening but she definately enjoyed the attention from family and friends and the hustle bustle of the holiday itinerary. It wasn't hard to find and keep the Christmas spirit this year, despite a last minute shopping venture that threatened to erode it for me. For the first time in a long time, I found myself humming Christmas carols and taking extra time adorning gifts with pretty paper and ribbons. It has taken Jaden several days to recover and almost as long for me to clean up the discarded paper and boxes and find homes for the new toys, clothes and gifts. I finally feel as if things are returning to a normal pace and I can start to focus on other things. The office is quiet this week, giving me even more time to get readjusted. The last several days I've been in a showtunes kind of mood. The impressive scores of some of broadway's biggest musicals have filled the empty hallways, from Chicago to Fiddler, to Wicked. As my Pandora streams in one great tune after another, I find myself singing along to lyrics I hadn't even been aware I knew. It has been a surprising way to stay focused and with no co-workers about, I haven't needed to worry about annoying the guys with my new musical addiction. Looking toward the end of the year, I've got Jaden's first birthday party to plan and several new deadlines for some fledgling publications I would like to try to meet. I have a playroom to design and decorate and far more repairs on the house to help my husband finish. Not to mention, Jaden is very close to finding her feet and I've no doubt the first months of 2011 will be marked by her musical laughter and the sound of her tiny feet running circles around us. I can not think of a better soundtrack than that.

© Copyright 2010 MD Maurice (UN: maurice1054 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
MD Maurice has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/714286-A-Showtunes-Kinda-Day