*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/715531-Jan-14-Trees
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1568380
Hodgepodge of things. Contest entries, short stories, scenes, my newsletters and other ...
#715531 added January 15, 2011 at 1:33am
Restrictions: None
Jan 14 Trees
Jack's solo into the wilderness was the kind of experience he had dreamed of his whole life. Even as a little boy, he had wanted to walk through pristine nature all by himself. Now, just about to turn fifty, he was on the trek of a lifetime. It was early spring in the Canadian forest. He was miles and miles away from civilization. His GPS device died three days ago, but somehow that only added to the adventure in his mind. This moment was for him. He thought briefly of his wife and their grown children and if they were disturbed by the fact that his signals had gone dark, but the majesty of nature was stronger than thoughts of home, the two bedroom condo in New York City.
Every night, Jack unfolded his bivy*, stuffed his sleeping bag, all his supplies and himself in it, and slept at one with nature. No tent, no roof, no nothing between him and the night sky, rich with uncounted stars.
Every morning, he woke up to the most amazing view of tall tree stems that reached high into the blue sky. Every morning, tears of overwhelming joy ran down the sides of his face. His walk in nature was not only long overdue, but also something he knew he would do as many times as possible as long as he still had the strength. He hoped his wife would come with him next time.

* If you want to know what a bivy is:
http://www.rei.com/product/747832?preferredSku=7478320018&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-d...

© Copyright 2011 Aennaytte: Free & Wild in GoT (UN: annette at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Aennaytte: Free & Wild in GoT has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/715531-Jan-14-Trees