*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/715773-Jan-16-Revolver
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1568380
Hodgepodge of things. Contest entries, short stories, scenes, my newsletters and other ...
#715773 added January 17, 2011 at 8:34am
Restrictions: None
Jan 16 Revolver
"Here you go, Jon-Jon." John handed his son the t-shirt they had designed and printed together. It was black with crossed guns and a sheriff star in the middle. Jon-Jon was so proud that his father always made him one of a kind t-shirts nobody else at school wore. He slipped it on. It fit perfectly.
At school, the shirt wasn't received as Jon-Jon had hoped. The teacher said he couldn't bring weapons to school.
The principal made him take the shirt off and wear one of the oops shirts from the nurse. An old rag of a shirt that didn't even fit him well.
When John picked up his son, he heard the whole story. Enraged, he went to speak to the principal.
"Zero tolerance" "Columbine" "Too much violence"
John didn't even listen to the punch lines any longer. He got up and left with Jon-Jon in tow. The next day, the principal and all the teachers found themselves surrounded by parents wearing that shirt. Every parent who dropped off a child, volunteering parents, every adult except school employees wore the shirt. And Jon-Jon.
John asked the principal, "Do you want to ask all of these people to take off their shirts? You're violating the first amendment."
The principal huffed, "Until somebody gets hurt!"
John laughed. "From a picture? Are you too scared to have a conversation with children that teaches them to think and filter what can hurt them and what can't?"



© Copyright 2011 Aennaytte: Free & Wild in GoT (UN: annette at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Aennaytte: Free & Wild in GoT has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/715773-Jan-16-Revolver