*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/718827-Frost-off-the-Window-Pane
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#718827 added February 28, 2011 at 6:23pm
Restrictions: None
Frost off the Window Pane
Frost off the Window Pane

Many people don’t like erotica or sensual prose and simply don’t read it….if the classification is greater than eighteen (18) plus they simply don’t go there. That’s what’s great about the classification system here at WDC…it alerts readers to the graphic nature of the material and allows them an option to steer clear. If you don’t like that kind of stuff then by all means don’t read it.

I have a theory that artistic endeavor is tied to our creative energies….that our urge to procreate is the motive force that pounds deep inside us like the engine of a tramp steamer. Some of that power that turns the props also spins up gyros and that power can be used for things that don’t directly propell the vessel. Like lights and radios and refrigeration units and a host of other unrelated purposes.

So it is that from our sex drive comes the energy to paint pictures, write music and compose literature…..We might not want to mix Mozart with the churning of a huge and noisey crankshaft but there is a connection between the two….Because of that connection I choose to venture down into the engine room from time to time and listen to the power of the dynamo and the resonance of the huge pistons surging up and down….Yes it’s noisy down there, and a bit dangerous amid all those pressure lines steam and hot greasy fluids ...but being close to the font….the creative source of power a writer can wallow in the motive energy that animates artistic beauty in its rawest of forms is….I find it simply invigorating.

The anology to a writer is the ability or willingness to using the power of sensual prose to enhance their literary efforts….Great composers combined the pounding of the base drum with the lilting notes of the flute, nor did they disdain the big horns because they preferred the signature of a clarinet.

Sex is such a motive force in our lives that we just can’t afford to hide it under a bushel basket….to use it to make an occasional baby but otherwise keep it locked down in some obscure corner of our soul. Yes the physical act can be raw and brutally unnerving at times even though our minds have the capacity to dull the senses to all that and turn the primordial grunting and groaning into the most compelling experience of our existence. Still their remains the question of how close do you want to have it hanging around for the nine-nine percent of our daily lives where it doesn’t directly apply….when our minds are not drugged by physiological secretions that make the flesh slapping seem surreal and the urgency of our animal instincts so disconcerting.

The answer to that lies in how close you want to get when the necessity for venturing close comes upon us….For many it seems almost like an on off light switch rather than the dial on a light fixture…For a writer we need to be able to dial up the intensity in our writing…to approach as close as we dare without getting too far into the comfort zone of our readers and ourselves. Prose that dares not skirt the fringe and bring heat to the story can be sterile and bloodless indeed. Writers need to venture to the fringe and return with some embers from the fire ….bring some of those glowing coals back into the shack and take some of the frost off the window pane.

© Copyright 2011 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/718827-Frost-off-the-Window-Pane