*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/719498-The-Sands-of-Ambivalence
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#719498 added March 9, 2011 at 10:42pm
Restrictions: None
The Sands of Ambivalence
The Sands of Ambivalence

I am surrounded by interesting people. There’s my wife who is the most interesting of all. She is amazing and every day I remind myself that I’m one lucky son-of-a-gun to have her….Even when she’s a “B**** I still like her.

Then I have my two dogs Chloe and Honey. They are great company and always good for a lick or a nudge….even if its at 3 O’clock in the morning…what the heck, I can let them out…nothing better to do but sleep and what’s that?

Not to mention my shop and my trucks…I could go on and on about that aspect of my life and I have tried it on occasion in my blog….Had to quit…Not that readership is the sole criteria, however, when nobody reads the darn thing, absolutely nobody then maybe automotive things are not what interest people on WDC. Now writing things do stir some interest so I try and restrict my blog to writing things.

Right now most of my writing is centered on my class that will begin in early May. It has been fun getting ready and quite a challenge. Plus it has been a huge learning experience. At the same time I have been taking an HSP course on integrating emotion and desire into prose writing… I think I did a blog on that recently so won’t go there again…except to say the class material has been extremely useful.

It doing the research I found some excellent references…It amazes me how two different authors can discuss the same subject… The One Act Play and approach the subject from such difference perspectives. It has opened my eyes and there were aspects to Playwriting that I was simply unaware of until I really began taking a close look. I’d tell you but I want you to take the course. I don’t believe there will be many takers….Drama is not a best seller these days….Romance Novels on the other hand have a following…

In going back to drama and teaching this course I am seeing some things that will make me a better writer…For example in a stage play the difference between showing and telling is more evident than in a novel. In a stage play if showing is taking place it tends to pop up in dialogues. Dialogues tend to show and monologues tend to tell. People go to the “Show” to be shown. They do not go to a “Tell to be told.” I thought that up….pretty profound don’t cha-know?

In a stage production words are as important as the imagery of the set and the costumes and presentation of the actors….

To the extent that the actors use their voices the sounds are at least as important as the vision….not the same as in screen plays or TV Dramas…

A big distinction that I marvel at is that shakesphere cheap tickets to the poor who couldn’t ever see the actors or stage. All they could do was listen to the words….the resonance of those magic words….How may would go to a movie and sit blindfolded outside…Get the point?

Anyway I think learning to write a One Act Play is of great benefit to virtually any kind of writer….So I encourage the occasional reader who strays to this oasis deep in the sands of ambivalence….Go to New Horizons and sign up…if not for my course then one of the many that are an adventure into the affordable opportunities that WDC offers.

© Copyright 2011 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/719498-The-Sands-of-Ambivalence