*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/720207-Chapter-1---Return
Rated: E · Book · Fantasy · #1761427
The largely unrevised version of my first attempt at a novel (unfinished)
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#720207 added March 22, 2011 at 8:26am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 1 - Return
The door opened. Even before the man came into sight Theresa knew who it was. She always knew. There was just something about him; an unmistakable presence. Anyone in his vicinity would feel it. If he wanted you to. Theresa couldn't even describe it. It was overwhelming seeing him enter a room, it was as if the earth trembled under his feet. All heads in the room would turn. People would do anything to be near him, despite a fear they couldn't make heads or tails of. Theresa had known him for years and he still affected her this way. Nothing about him ever seemed to change. She hoped nothing ever would.

Thus she was not surprised as he stepped into her office. They hadn't seen each other for over a year and still he looked the same. Still he commanded the room as he walked in. He seemed to be in his late 20s but whenever Theresa asked him his age he would give up a small chuckle before skillfully dodging the question. Yet this time something was different about him. He seemed.. darker somehow. No matter how intimidating she'd ever found him, she would never have described him as dark. He had been a bright person in every way. From his unruly white hair to his pale blue eyes and his white row of teeth that more often than not shone up in a big grin.
But not this time. Not today.

"I need my key." He said as if greetings were unnecessary. He knew she had noticed him coming. He'd made sure of it.

"Okay." She smiled, ignoring what she thought was a rather rude entrance.

"Wait a second." She said, turned around and started digging through her drawers. He'd just walked in one day last year, thrown the key on her desk and told her he'd be back for it. The hasty and unexplained good bye had led her to worry ever since.

"Here it is." She showed him his key with a gesture that made it seem as if she was handing it to him. Hanging on a chain it was old and primitive looking, much like the jewellery he was prone to wearing. He had rings and earrings and bracelets but he especially seemed to have a penchant for pendants, which he wrapped around his wrists. The key fit right in with these pendants. Just as he reached out for it, she closed her hand on the key.

"Shall we go then?" She tried, as an excuse to accompany him. She'd make sure to squeeze a few more words out of him before she let him escape again. He seemed to deem it an acceptable compromise.

"Ladies first." He said, trying a grin. It didn't quite have his old cheerfulness, but Theresa could tell it had been even worse not long ago.

"Don't mind if I do." She returned his smile and walked past him out the hallway.

His door was just a short walk away from hers, but it was like a different world. She'd been inside of it many times since he left her with the key. It was such a mysterious office he kept. Four different computer screens was set up on a sturdy old desk and the rest of the room was covered in documents and pages of old books. It almost always lay in darkness. The back room, where he lived, was on the other hand tidy and cozy. Though it was void of any furniture except for his bed, a tv, a bookcase and the tiny kitchen. Theresa would go inside from time to time to just walk around quietly looking at everything. But never touching. That's where she drew the line of breaking his trust.

She had planned to start up a conversation as they walked, but somehow they found themselves at his door before she'd been able to say a word. Surprised at herself she put the key in the lock and turned. When she opened the door everything looked the same as before. Not even dust seemed to settle in this room. The man beside her gave of a pleased little smile and walked into the room, leaving her standing in the hallway.

"Thank you for taking care of it, Tess. I promise we'll get a chance to talk later." He said, smiling apologetically. Her heart sank.

"Well, I'll see you later then." She sighed as she closed the door behind him. Later? She thought to herself. Will I always have to wait my turn with that man? She walked away pondering, conflicting emotions fighting in her chest.
© Copyright 2011 Lord Michael Peasant (UN: krowd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Lord Michael Peasant has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/720207-Chapter-1---Return