*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/723002-Saddle-of-Mt-Jumbo-and-north
Rated: 13+ · Book · Nature · #1439094
Look around. Let Nature nurture your Soul. I record images I sense and share them here.
#723002 added April 25, 2011 at 5:00pm
Restrictions: None
Saddle of Mt. Jumbo and north
Saddle of Mt. Jumbo and north
2011, April 24th

Edited from my journal, page 2653-54.

Tricia called and we drove up to the saddle of Mt. Jumbo and went for a walk. As one climbs up to the crest the path has buttercups in bloom and if one looks close there are yellowbells and shooting stars as well, but mostly one sees dry bent grass.

To the left: powerlines. To the right: a pond and a path up through the pines on the north slope of Jumbo (there are fewer on the eastern and western slopes and almost no pines on the south). From here Jumbo looks more like a gumdrop that a lumpy potato (as seen from town).

After the crest one looks down on the river and Milltown and as one walks more of the river, then the golf course comes into view and finally as one looks down and back, East Missoula. From here one can see the snows on the north slopes of Sentinel and University and white gleaming off mountains to the east and north. There are still snowfields on Jumbo, snow hidden in the pine and snow on the dirt road we took north.

Mostly, the road was dry. After speaking to a walker (a bit older than us, trim and fit) we took a short cut up to the ridge to walk back along it. I took pictures of moss and Tricia took close ups with her Panasonic ZS6. I was impressed by her photo of a buttercup.

The dry pines needles proved to be slippery, but the fragrance was wonderful. We ignored the elk/deer scat, but I collected some to bring home to dry. I want to know if it burns like moose poop, and what it might smell like.

We came down okay and found the path back. All in all it was a pleasant afternoon, 60s, sunny and good company.
247

© Copyright 2011 Kåre Enga in Udon Thani (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Udon Thani has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/723002-Saddle-of-Mt-Jumbo-and-north