*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/723469-CHAPTER-ONE
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Drama · #1772965
My first novel...
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#723469 added May 25, 2017 at 10:29am
Restrictions: None
CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER ONE

         At the start, the North road is long and narrow, seemingly straight. I know from whence I have come and where I am going --- away, anywhere but here, to someplace new, bright and serene, a place where hope and happiness flow freely.
         Summer is drawing to a close. The leaves are varied shades of orange and red, while the grasses remain a vibrant kelly-green, billowing in the breeze.
         Along the path I tread, the way is often rough. With a mix of rocks jutting upward... and potholes, I stumble easily. At other times the path is smooth, yet dust blows in and my way is temporarily hidden. I remember God formed man from the dust of the earth; and to dust, he shall return. Soon after the dust, comes an onslaught of pelting rain. Dust becomes mud, slowing me up. Water creeps increasingly across my path. As I trudge onward, the water all but completely covers the road. While appearing shallow, I find the water deep with treacherous undertow. Just as quickly, with sun shining down, the water recedes and my path is cleared. Throughout my journey, trees are a continuous canopy, a frame of well-wishers ushering me onward into His Kingdom.
         Making fair progress, I come to a fork and pause to pray. God is silent.
         I remove my backpack and setup camp. The vast sky quickly darkens, glittering stars distinct, and I lay still in enveloping quiet. The night air blows a stray strand of hair across my face, and I relish contentment.
         At morning light, I say a word of thanksgiving and another prayer for guidance. Lighting a fire, I brew a cup of cocoa and nibble a biscuit.
         Without further hesitation, I choose the pathway on the right, toward the rising sun. Its warmth goads me onward.

         
© Copyright 2017 Maria Mize (UN: kimbro1958 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Maria Mize has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/723469-CHAPTER-ONE