*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/725220-In-Memoriam
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1523686
Nothing like a fortune cookie to make a year intriguing.
#725220 added June 23, 2011 at 12:47am
Restrictions: None
In Memoriam
         My grandfather passed this past weekend. In memoriam to his memory I'm posting the obituary running in the Los Angeles Times, written by the family. We had the burial for the family, and today is the memorial for family friends, former colleagues, and others. While this covers his many achievements in life, it doesn't convey all the love and wisdom he gave to so many. He will be missed and forever in my thoughts.

Dr. Henry Stratton Williams
August 26, 1929 - May 21, 2011


         Henry ("Hank") Stratton Williams, M.D., a beloved husband, father and brother, and a pioneer in the Los Angeles medical community, passed away in his home in Beverly Hills on May 21 after a long battle with leukemia. Those who knew Hank will remember him for his kindness, gentle humor, generosity, wisdom, determination, patience, and deep and abiding love for his family, friends and community. He will be profoundly missed.

         Hank Williams was born in the Bronx, New York on August 26, 1929, the son of Hiram Justice Williams and Margaret Stratton Williams. Hank attended P.S. 23 and DeWitt Clinton High School in the Bronx. He graduated from the City College of New York in 1950 and enrolled at Howard University Medical School. After Hank's first year he moved to Los Angeles to recuperate from an illness. While there he met Frances Spurlock, a UCLA student, who would become the love of his life. Hank returned to his studies at Howard University, he and Fran married in 1953, and Hank graduated from Howard in 1955.

         Dr. Williams completed his internship at Brooke Army Hospital in San Antonio, Texas, and received his residency training in Radiology at Letterman Army Hospital in San Francisco. He continued his military tour, achieving the rank of major while serving as Chief of Radiology at the United States Army base located in Orleans, France, from 1960 to 1962. After his military tour ended, Hank, Fran and their three young boys returned to Los Angeles, where Dr. Williams started a private practice in the Central City area.

         In the aftermath of the Watts riots in 1965, Dr. Williams was one of the founders of the Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science in the Watts Willowbrook area, dedicated to bringing medical training and care to undeserved communities. He served on the Drew Board of Trustees for many years, and as Interim President of the University from 1989 to 1991.

         Hank was truly a Renaissance man: an extraordinarily successful investor, an accomplished tennis player, a lifelong learner, an avid sports fan and an expert swimmer.

         Henry Williams is survived by his wife of 57 years, Frances Beatrice Spurlock Williams, his three sons Mark (Grace), Paul (Laura) and Bart (Nadine), and his six grandchildren: Scott, Ryan, Samantha, Zachary, Adam and Justin. He is also survived by his older brother, Hiram J. Williams II (Rae).

         In the words of his beautiful and beloved bride Fran, "He was a good man."

© Copyright 2011 LdyPhoenix (UN: ldyphoenix at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LdyPhoenix has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/725220-In-Memoriam