*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/725794-Grumpy-Old-Man
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#725794 added June 7, 2011 at 10:52pm
Restrictions: None
Grumpy Old Man
Grumpy Old Man

It’s been another hot day in Wisconsin. Linda and I took the dogs up to Quick Trip and got a soft serve…. Yes we shared it with the girls. Then we drove home through farm country and admired the potatoes and corn coming up. The agro industry is in full gear and you would not believe all the corn that has been planted.

I bought two Haynes books on electrical wiring, one their Automotive Electrical Manual and the other on Chevrolet S-10 pickups. One provides general information on wiring and components and the other is specific to the vehicle I am interested in. I am always amazed by how technical manuals seem to tell you everything but what a person needs to know
.
For example on the tail light circuit there is a four hole connector on the end. Logic would say that one is the blinker, another is the emergency flasher, another is the break and the other is the backup or license light… Further that when the appropriate plug is grounded it should light up and the turn signal should flash on the test light. Forget that….

When I actuated the left turn switch I got power to one of the four holes but it didn’t flash. Now Piffer told me that in order for the circuit to flash it had to have a full load…. That means the entire circuit needs to be hooked up to all the appliances before it will start to blink. If this is true then why the heck didn’t the Manual say something to that effect? I should have made a living writing tech manuals. I would have watched a technician and written down what that person did. Instead they hire a technician who winds up writing it and making altogether too many assumptions about the readership. They spend two pages in the introduction telling how user friendly their product is and then revert to the samo-samo gooble-de-gook techo jargon that technicians communicate in. What a waste of money for someone in their target audience.

I got the John Deere Gator running today, am charging the Dodge Diesel, and cut up and blocked a full cord of logs. I am pooped. Linda has been giving me heck about all the equipment I have and that I should get rid of some…. She is right of course but she is much better at telling me to get rid of things than getting rid of things herself. Ever heard of a Garage sale Honey….HELLO…. It takes two to tango and we are both better at telling each other how to run their lives than putting our own affairs in order. Does anyone else have these issues with their spouse?

Anyone who ever thought about moving to a farm and relaxing needs professional help…. The work is endless and most of the tasks are one in a lifetime events that require gobs of research and training and experience to perform. Better retire to a condo, buy a rowboat and go fishing for dinner. This is not one of my upbeat days….sorry to put my readers through it….Tonight I promise to take my Prozac and be a happy little bipper tomorrow.

© Copyright 2011 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/725794-Grumpy-Old-Man