*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/725747-When-Supporting-Characters-eclipse-main-Characters
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#725747 added June 7, 2011 at 11:00pm
Restrictions: None
When Supporting Characters eclipse main Characters
When supporting characters rear their lovely heads

Summer has arrived in the North Woods, although I am still a little south to be claiming residence in Paul Bunyan country. Still, after the briefest spring it got hot today….really hot. We languished inside for the most part, venturing out to the Grocery store and this evening completed phase 1 of my favorite pastime, painting the deck.

Linda and I can deck paint together….We can’t wall paper together but we can deck paint even though she raises hell with me every time I drip a drop of stain on the walkway. She can’t help it….the compulsive gene makes her do it.

This weekend I decided to hook up the turn signals on my 1946 Studebaker…. I can hear the groans…..not another mechanical blog…
Well forget that….There isn’t much to report….I failed, overwhelmed by complications I won’t even go into.

Bill Piffer told me to bring it in and he would do it and once I have that working it’s off to the glass man….That will be a major milestone. On the 1940 ford Sedan the fuel tank, pump and line are installed along with the transmisson. Now for the drive shaft and that will be another great accomplishment.

Last year in Hot Rod Magazine there was a 1934 Ford that had been restored and street rodded as a race car. The article got a lot of heat because the builder used a painting process that resulted in a false patina that made the care look old. I thought it looked great….. Whenever I go to a car show I walk past the rows of perfectly restored cars with their 10K paint jobs and got where the “Rat Rods” are. Rat Rods are modern day Hot Rods, built by real people in garages rather than farmed out to custom shops and hauled around on trailers. I don’t mind it that others take a different view on what constitutes a cool set of wheels but when it comes to cars and trucks I love to see something fabricated by someone who doesn’t have a large bankroll and does his work on the apron of his/her garage.

Anyway I am thinking about a novel where the 1940 Sedan is bought by my grandfather, raced by my father and street rodded by me and then put out in the barn and found by my grandson twenty years hence. Hmmm….let me know what you think.

Linda and I watched the last episode of season 1 of “Justified.” I hated to see it end….We will be buying season 2 when it comes out. I like to read about the making of these serials and how they adapt to the unexpected. For example “Boyd Crowder” was a character who succeeded beyond all expectations and they had to do some extensive rewriting to take advantage of his success….Sound familiar…..Ever had a supporting character begin to eclipse the central character…..? Of course you have and when it happens you have to take advantage

© Copyright 2011 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/725747-When-Supporting-Characters-eclipse-main-Characters