*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/726235-Harry-Potter-Update
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(119)
by Jeff
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1399999
My primary Writing.com blog.
#726235 added June 14, 2011 at 9:38pm
Restrictions: None
Harry Potter Update
So I actually dove in and decided to read Harry Potter. I've been listening to them on audio during the commute and - scarcely two weeks later - I'm already on the third book. I know they get what seems like exponentially longer after this one, but I'm still surprised at how fast I'm blazing through the series. And it actually isn't all that bad.

There are some things that I think aren't all that great. The structuring is a little predictable and whatnot, but all in all they're actually a lot of fun. J.K. Rowling's got a great imagination; you have to give her that. I don't think they're any marvels of children's literature in terms of sophistication... but they're a darn entertaining read. And - thematically and technically - they're leaps and bounds above the Twilight series which, IMO after reading three of them, is somewhere between utter drivel and juvenile whining.

What I can appreciate most about the Harry Potter books is the scope of the work, and its accessibility. Rowling has created an entire fantasy world that's interesting and engaging and fun. I've read plenty of fantasy over the years, and I've noticed that a lot of times, the authors can get carried away in their worlds... too far, so that the story becomes secondary to the setting. Note: if you have footnotes in your own story to explain concepts, it's too technical. I'm talking to you Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman! *Pthb*

But where was I? Broad scope and accessible. Right.

I love the idea of creating a world of your own. Characters and settings and scenarios that no one else has ever invented. These books almost make me want to run back to my Dungeons & Dragons books and start world-building a campaign again.

Sorry, should have prefaced that last paragraph with *NERD ALERT* *Wink*

Anyway, I think the Harry Potter books (granted, I'm only just under halfway through the series) are pretty darn enjoyable. I'm looking forward to finishing the series and then watching the movies to see what they're like now that I know what Muggles and horcruxes and Quidditch are. *Wink*

© Copyright 2011 Jeff (UN: jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jeff has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/726235-Harry-Potter-Update