*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/728052-Girding-for-the-Future
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#728052 added July 7, 2011 at 8:29am
Restrictions: None
Girding for the Future
Girding for the Future

In financial terms the wolf is no longer snarling at the door. Don’t get me wrong we’re not on easy street or even close but the days when the end of the month rolled around and we had $10 in the checking account, not to mention credit card bills, house and car payments are gone.

I mention this because our life style has not changed from what it used to be. Linda came from a lower middle class family that didn’t have much. My family was middle class and we had a bit more. When we were off serving in the Military I can assure you we lived from month to month and carried a lot of debt.

Now that we are a little better off do you would think we can change the behavior patters of a lifetime. No way. We have structured our cash flow into four checking accounts One for me, my wife, for a General fund and Taxes. We still pinch pennies like we always did and agonize over major expenditures.

Still the times are changing and we have to look at things a little differently. No longer do we keep CDs like my parents did that the government devalues at the rate of about ten percent a year. What they are doing to soak the wealth from senior citizens who don’t realize what is happening is a travesty. Now we have turned to investments that put tmoney into things that have “Real Value” like conservative mutual funds and precious metals. These funds survived the recent meltdown and are doing OK….certainly better than 1% a year.

We can live on our pensions, and social security, although how long that will last is hardly certain. Commitments made by our Government under the stewardship of the current administration are no longer the certainty they once were and you have to ask yourselves how bad can things realistically get?

In a worst case scenario without worrying about the sky falling I can envision more aggressive inflation (devaluation) and perhaps some percentage decreases in pensions. These could range from 10 to 25 percent and that is probably a realistic projection. On the one hand pensions can be reduced by the Government and legislation enacted to allow corporate enterprise to do the same thing… and on the other run the printing presses wide open and hope there isn’t a shortage of ink. That is the way the “Great Redistribution of Wealth” is designed to work under the progressive political philosophy that is designed to bring American down to the same level as the rest of the world.

There are forces in this country, and the world at large, that are working aggressively to make this happen and from Glenn Beck we got a glimpse of who and what they are. We owe him a debt of eteral gratitude. Those faces he kept flashing on the screen are real people committed to bringing this country to its knees. Now that he has been sent packing the country can go back to being fat, and clueless.

There are no easy solutions but the slope we are gliding on is the same path taken by Europe who have followed economic policies that stifle the entrepreneurial spirit of those who are creative and willing to work and allow government to make everyone else into the lowest possible common denominator.

If you are paying attention you need to manage your finances in a manner that views "Big Brother" with extreme skepticism and private enterprise as the only long term hope a citizen has left.

© Copyright 2011 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/728052-Girding-for-the-Future