*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/728119-The-Iola-Car-Show
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#728119 added July 7, 2011 at 8:02am
Restrictions: None
The Iola Car Show
The Iola Car Show

I went to four different glass franchises before finding one that would even attempt to do the glass on my Studebaker. Can you imagine that?

Most glass franchisees are insurance chasers and specialize in windshields. They do late model cars and buy the glass and install it. They make about three hundred dollars a pop.

I drove around all morning and finally came back on one I checked out earlier at Stephens Point. The technician said his boss is a glass virtuoso and does classic cars. The rate is not cheap but he guarantees a good job. I was glad there was someone out there with the skills and willingness to take on the project.

It seems that everything is throw-away these days. To heck with fixing anything. If it breaks, throw it away and get a new one. That seems to be the prevailing attitude. It’s cheaper to replace something than fix it. I have a two stroke roto- tiller made by Still. That is a good company, however, I couldn’t get mine to start in the spring and after trying everything I could think of took it back to where I bought it. The owner told me that the ethanol gas destroys the carburetors and rather than fix them they swap them out. Cost me a hundred bucks…

Linda says I have the farm looking like a salvage yard. I do have a lot of old equipment but just because the place doesn’t look like “Farm Beautiful” on Better Home and Gardens she gives me a hard time. As in most things there is a shred of truth in her arguments and when I finish this blog I intend to work this evening on a little clean-up. That is a never ending task with keeping the yard cut, the fences mended and the wood cut for winter. Where do I find time to write and work on my trucks? With the Stude in the glass shop for the next week I will be able to turn to some other things.

This weekend is the biggest car show in Wisconsin. It is held at Iola which is about an hour from my place. You can’t see everything in one day. The swap meet goes on for acres and acres. The parking lot consists of fields that go on for ever. The show grounds are also huge along with all the concessions. It is the biggest automotive event I have ever seen. There are six gates to get in and you have to have a map to find your way around and not forget your lot number and location thinking you can just walk around and find it later on. This is one gigantic spectacle and walking up and down the hills in all that heat leaves you all pooped out for the next week. Heaven help you if you buy something heavy and have to tote it out. I have been to car shows all over the country and nothing I have ever seen matches the scope of the Iola extravaganza. Maybe I should take some pictures and show you what I mean.

© Copyright 2011 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/728119-The-Iola-Car-Show