*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/728066-Traditions
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #1578384
You never know what you'll find - humor, ramblings, rants, randomness- it's all me!
#728066 added July 6, 2011 at 1:00pm
Restrictions: None
Traditions
Subject: Day 3 - Good Traditions
Every country has its prestigious traditions.
Some of those are our favorites.
In the community you live now enumerate
the good traditions you and your family are
anxious to celebrate.



I've thought about this a lot while I've been laying in bed with a stinkin' blood infection. Note to everyone: When a red streak starts going up your leg, it's not a good sign even if it's just from a blister on your toe. I always come down with the freaky illnesses.

I'm trying to get caught up on my blog challenges, so I'm just going to do a list. I do need to preface it by saying my family is a portrait of off-beat humor. While some families might light a candle as a remembrance of someone or an event, we are doing things that might seem bizarre, but let me assure you, they are meaningful to us.

I think anyone who has ever visited another family on a holiday will admit that it always seems a little odd in some way. Maybe it's simply different food served, or maybe it's that we grow up celebrating one way and it fosters a feeling of what the holidays represent - to me that's comfort.

So here's my zany list (think less of me if you must; just be careful, I may invite you to Thanksgiving dinner)

1. I have a 14 year old son. Manners are a huge deal for me. So before his birthdays we would "practice" opening presents. I never wanted him to offend someone by saying things like "I already have that" or "I don't like Power Rangers". I have to admit he was a quick study. My dad made fun of me for this. And his clever mind got to working. My father was taking the trash to the big dumpster at his place of work one day, and in the dumpster he found this old, 2 foot, straggly, one-armed doll. For my son's 3rd birthday he wrapped it up, and put it with the other presents. (Of course, he got him something else too). Well, this was the biggest present, and my son's eyes were huge. As he tore into the box with excitement, his face became utter confusion as he pulled out "Lila" (we've named her). His eyes glanced at me, and then without pause, he looked at my father and said, "Thank you, Pa. I've never had a doll before." I couldn't have been more proud. lol. Not only did he have manners, but the trick ended up on my father.

So. . . the tradition began. Every major holiday, the doll is gifted back between them, with something new done to it. For instance, my son painted a tatoo on Lila that says "I love Pa", and my dad had Lila write Reese a love song.

2. I don't even know how this one started. But every holiday I bring my dad a couple of bottles of Boonesfarm. For those of you who aren't hicks, it is the cheapest wine in the world. It's like soda. That's what my dad first drank in his younger years, so I guess it takes him back to the good ole days.

One time I stopped at this little liquor store on the way to his house. I looked and looked and could find Strawberry Hill Boonesfarm. I asked the lady behind the counter. She turned up her nose saying, "We would never carry that wine."

I smiled back, and politely replied, "Really? Your loss. You could be getting my $3.99 every holiday!"

3. This is just a tradition my son and I have. It's just the two of us. Well, we all know how crazy the holidays get, and how sometimes they are more chaos than joy. Well, Reese came up with a solution. The day before the holiday, we have a "do nothing" day. We stay at home in our pajamas, just doing whatever we want. It gets us happy, relaxed, and looking forward to the next day.

4. This one, I'm slightly embarrassed about. My mom doesn't handle "stress" well all the time, and holidays seem to do her in because she wants everything to be perfect. And there is no way with as many people as we have coming over everything is going to go just right. Inevitably, she goes in her room and cries (just for a little bit). And then comes out and is fine. Well, at some point in our teenage years; my brother, sister, and I somehow came up with the idea to bet when she would go cry. Whoever came closest won. I know, I know . . . it's awful. I'm sure it couldn't have been me that came up with it.

Okay, I had more. But I'm going to stop there, because I can see I may have already alienated half of WDC with this post.

By the way - Happy Holidays.

P.S. Dad doesn't usually drink it straight from the bottle. We do have dixie cups. lol

© Copyright 2011 audra_branson (UN: abranson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
audra_branson has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/728066-Traditions