*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/728327-Day-One-at-the-Iola-Car-Show
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#728327 added July 10, 2011 at 9:08am
Restrictions: None
Day One at the Iola Car Show
I went to the car show and arrived around 9’AM. It was even bigger than last year. At 3PM I was beat and had to head home only seeing the half of it. Today I will go back and try and see the rest.

It was hot, in the 90 degree range and humid. There are some steep hills that a visitor has to keep climbing but the diversity of booths and vendors was amazing and there was everything under the automotive sun that one could imagine.

I spent $11 dollars on a couple of antique gauges but saw a small gas welding outfit that was perfect for sheet metal. At $360 it was out of my price range…here I go wringing my “Poor House” hands.

Getting to talk to the vendors and other visitors was an additional treat, not to mention the people watching and listening. I felt like a kid at the circus.

In the Car Show Area were a range of restorations, rat rods and street rods on display. Most were beautifully rendered and those that had been left in patina or turned into Rat Rod’s also showed some impressive workmanship. Visitors get to talk to the builders and that is always informative and fun to do.

I saw one old truck that had been built like I am doing my Stude. There was a shop logo painted on the door and I asked a girl in the tent where she got the “Logo Decal” She laughed and said …“That isn’t a decal that is original artwork, that is hand painted… the old fashioned way.”

I was stunned and couldn’t believe my eyes. They were works of art …

“Who painted them?” I asked.

“Yours Truly,” she replied.

As we talked further I found out she lived in Ripon which is just up the road. I 'll be getting her to paint a couple on my truck. There was another vendor who provided some interesting insight on air testing a flathead engine for cracks. What a font of experience and knowledge that fella was.

I hated leaving the dogs but taking them was out of the question in the heat. When I returned home I took them for a walk… like I really needed that and went for dinner to the Cracker Barrel.

They have the best vegetables and some good selections for someone on a diet. I'm trying to limit my carbs and quit soda’s. Talk about sugar withdrawal. Linda and I were snapping at each other all last week. It is amazing how something like a change in diet and having a slight edge of hunger can affect your personality.

© Copyright 2011 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/728327-Day-One-at-the-Iola-Car-Show