*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/728393-Day-two-at-the-Iola-Car-Show
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#728393 added July 11, 2011 at 7:48am
Restrictions: None
Day two at the Iola Car Show
Day Two at the Iola Car Show

What a glutton for punishment. I was still sore from yesterday when I drove back to Iola for a second day of it. Having only seen half I was determined to see the rest.

After looking at all the show cars I was disappointed that there were no old Studebaker trucks. I had hoped to see at least one.

Most of the vendors who bring stuff are regular people and bring a canopy of some sort which they sit beneath in the stifling ninety-degree weather… with their wares laid out on the ground or a table before them. I can see why they might be a bit cranky, however this year many seemed down-right rude.

At one booth I saw a dash panel off an old semi I am particularly fond of. “That’s from a 1940’s Diamond T,” I remarked more as a statement than a question. “That’s what the LOGO says,” he countered sarcastically. Ordinarily I might have bought it … “Have a nice day,” I replied moving on.

But for every grouch there’s an enthusiast who despite the harsh conditions loves being there and talking about all the treasures he has displayed. I think many are just nice folks and come to talk to others who share their passion for things automotive. One guy who had trouble hearing (Like me) was sitting quietly. He had an old Tachometer. After an exchange of words that might be loosely termed a conversation I bought it.

When I’m tired and after walking about, up and down, for four hours the food sure tastes good. Dried out hamburgers and soggy french-fries and a bottle of local water sure taste good and goes down cool.

The booths that attracted the most interest were the ones that showed the passerby’s how to do something… that was naturally related to the product they were trying to sell, no surprise there. It was like the carnival where the hawker tries to draw in the customer and get them to buy something they didn’t otherwise have in mind.

I am still thinking about that welding set but had an idea for a booth that would sell the body shop epoxies that are being used to glue in patch panels for body parts that are all rusted out. I use them extensively in my repairs and if somebody doesn’t like to weld they work fine. I envisioned myself cutting out a rust spot, making a cardboard template, spreading the glue and pop riveting the sheet metal cut-out into place… Hmmmm, maybe there’s a nitch for my creative energies and all the extra time I have on hand.

© Copyright 2011 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/728393-Day-two-at-the-Iola-Car-Show