*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/728485-Stormy-St-Louis
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#728485 added July 12, 2011 at 1:06pm
Restrictions: None
Stormy St Louis
If there's one thing we learned from this last trip, it's that days spent travelling are really tiring, no matter how smooth the journey. Our passage from New Jersey to St Louis was to be the first in the USA with a few minor hiccups, leaving us shattered and wondering if we'd survive the next few weeks. We set off from our hotel and hauled our luggage from taxi to train and back up those steps to Penn station. I don't think I could ever get used to that place. Eventually we found another taxi to take us to La Guardia airport. For the first time at an American airport we experienced long queues at check in and security and our plane was delayed. It was also still raining in New York.

On arrival at St Louis Lambert airport we waited ages for our suitcases to arrive on the carousel. Eventually I found mine, but hubby's failed to put in an appearance. An hour later it was discovered on a different carousel on the other side of the airport, so by the time we'd caught the Metro and found our hotel it was dark, though thankfully dry and much warmer. It was a beautiful, quite luxurious hotel and the staff exceedingly pleasant and helpful.

The next day hubby insisted on catching the metro right to the other end of the line in Illinois. I can't say it was interesting as all the stations and scenery looked pretty much the same, but you know men and their trains. *Rolleyes* We then ventured back to downtown St Louis and the now familiar Laclede's Landing. It's a bit neglected with some obvious poverty, but an area we both love, particularly a quirky little restaurant overlooking the Mississippi called The Sundecker. I'd be as wide as the river if I ate there every day however. Nothing much has changed there since our last visit including my refusal to travel inside that ridiculously-sized Arch.

I was hoping to meet David McClain and Mel aka Mrs Tor during our stay, but sadly Mel was kicked by a new horse the previous day and had to spend the day at the hospital with a broken ankle instead. The things people do to avoid meeting me. *Laugh* However, we did spend a very pleasant afternoon with Nanette (ex Past Voices) on the Delmar Loop. We had a good lunch and a natter, but I think both Nanette and I would have liked to have ventured further. Another case of hubby's aversion to walking. *Pthb* I should have booked him a game of golf instead.

In the evening a courtesey car from the hotel took us to the Scott Trade Centre to see one of my favourites, Bon Jovi. Amazing as usual, but the sheer size and height of the stadium left me rooted to my seat. I daren't stand up for fear of falling from the almost horizontal tiers. There was a tremendous storm when we came out and later news of the terrible tornado in Joplin. We had several calls from relatives and friends who'd seen the news back home, but we assured them we were quite safe and right on the other side of Missouri.

Our last day involved a visit to Macy's *Bigsmile* and then on to Forest Park. Just as we arrived there was another tremendous storm so we had to run for cover to the nearest building. I can now say I know every inch of the museum and shop after waiting a couple of hours for the weather to calm down. On arrival at the zoo within the park, we were a little disappointed by the lack of animals outside, but it seemed the storm had made them take cover too. On the bus leaving the park we met a very large young lady with her fiance who after telling us all her wedding plans announced she knew an English girl called Yvonne and asked did we know her? *Laugh*

We had a last meal at Laclede's Landing, then back to the hotel for more packing and travel. Photo link below. I can't believe how long ago this all seems now.

https://picasaweb.google.com/Eyupmeduck/StLouisMay2011?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRg...

© Copyright 2011 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/728485-Stormy-St-Louis