*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/729077-Mixed-Emotions-Miami
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#729077 added July 19, 2011 at 1:40pm
Restrictions: None
Mixed Emotions Miami
I'll confess when we were planning our USA trip it was my suggestion to visit Florida, as despite the presence of Disneyworld, I had this vision of a soothing place bathed in sunshine with swaying palm trees and glorious beaches. Just shows how wrong you can be, although the problems were not all to do with the place and in retrospect maybe we'd have been better staying somewhere quieter than South Beach.

I left all the planning and booking to hubby; he enjoys doing the boring part much more than I do and on the whole does a pretty good job. However, on arrival at Miami airport we were informed the shuttle ticket he'd booked, paid for and printed online was missing a piece and for the first time, were not impressed with the manner of the bus driver. Admittedly, it was hubby's mistake, but I'm pretty sure we don't look the types to be trying to pull a fast one. Despite a phone call reassuring the driver our booking was genuine, he grumbled and complained all the way to our hotel and then demanded a six dollar tip. I'll forgive him to some extent however and put it down to his Latin temperament and working in an industry where time is money.

Our hotel, although well placed for the beach, restaurants and shops has to be the weirdest and most impractical we've ever stayed in. It was originally an old monastary and I guess that fascinates a lot of guests. The reception faced out onto the main road, but we were informed our room was up a side street, past two shops and three restaurants then up two flights of stairs. Not a lift in sight. I'm sure that shouldn't get past health and safety and it certainly wasn't pleasant dragging suitcases all that distance in the blistering heat. The street was very busy with cafes, restaurants and shops of all nationalities and a little intimidating to be honest.

Our room was dark, poky and very basic compared to others we'd stayed in, the air conditioning not great and the noise from the street not conducive to relaxing or sleep. It was when we started unpacking we realised we'd left my iPad at security back in St Louis airport (hubby's fault again of course *Pthb* ) which didn't help matters. Don't worry, we did manage to get it back eventually, at a cost of course. We had a wander down to the beach in the evening, which although a little artificial looking, was very beautiful with plenty of space. Maybe the mental picture I'd had of chilling out for a day or two just sunbathing would be a possibility after all? Who am I kidding? *Rolleyes*

The next day we'd a trip booked to the Everglades, somewhere hubby was very keen to visit. My sister had informed me that when she told our Dad we were going there, he'd said 'What do they want to go there for? It's just a load of mud and alligators.' Our father can't ever be accused of being overenthusiastic, but in actual fact he wasn't that far out. It was interesting of course and I'm glad we went, but I've experienced better things. The airboats are so noisy you're issued with earplugs, (useful later for snoring avoidance) the water was so low that many alligators had left for deeper waters and the scenery, though different, was rather monotonous. But you know me, never one...*Rolleyes* We had a laugh when we asked what the difference is between a crocodile and an alligator and the guide replied 'A crocodile has no tongue, so on meeting if you get a French kiss, you know it's an alligator.' *Laugh*

The second part of the day was a boat trip around Biscayne Bay. Very pleasant weather and some interesting scenery, but the huge boats and mansions of the rich and famous aren't something I crave to see, particularly as I am neither and will never own either. No one ever said life is fair, but it seems obscene to me just how much some people have, seemingly with no conscience. But I digress.

The following day we had nothing booked, so I suggested a lazy day at the beach. Hubby complained it was too hot, he had no shorts and it would be better to go and see more places, then return to the beach later, when it was cooler. We ended up catching a bus to a Jungle Park which seemed to be in the middle of nowhere and surrounded by road construction. After tramping miles across concrete, paying a fortune to get in, suffering a limp lettuce salad for lunch and watching the antics of a few parrots and monkeys there was almost a murder in Miami. We never did get to sit on the beach.

On the whole we weren't over-impressed with this bit of America. The restaurants were expensive and not of particularly good quality. I'm not fond of the tipping routine in the US, but here the tip is already added to your bill at 18%, which I found annoying, particularly when the standard and service were not that good. The shops we saw were tacky and overpriced and the place heaving with silicone tops, oversized bottoms and loud mouths. A resort for the young and lively maybe, but not for a couple of sedate English pensioners. I'd visit Florida again however, but a different part for sure. Right now, it certainly seems a lot more attractive than being back at home, but life is all about comparisons. Photos in the link below.

https://picasaweb.google.com/Eyupmeduck/MiamiMay2011?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCP...


© Copyright 2011 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/729077-Mixed-Emotions-Miami