*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/728691-Making-Plans-for-Tomorrow
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#728691 added July 15, 2011 at 7:11am
Restrictions: None
Making Plans for Tomorrow
Making plans for tomorrow


The first truck I “Restored” is a 1953 “Better Built” dump truck without the dump box. I found a duelly box off a late model GMC and adapted that and added the side panels from an old nine foot pick-up box. The tail gate of the Ford had to be widened to accommodate the box. I had a 351 Windsor rebuilt that sucks gas like a wine-O. It drives like an old truck without power steering and bumps along with rattles and shakes. Still I use it a lot because it can carry some really heavy stuff but I am sure it never drove that smooth to begin with and age has not improved upon its handling.

From this experience I learned a valuable lesson. Mock a truck or car up and drive it some before you go on to phase two of a restoration. That is to say make sure you really like it before you go spending a whole lot of money on it. For those who have been following my restoration of the Stude you will know that I put an old body on a newer S-10 frame and to my tastes that is the only way to go. Not only is it an affordable approach, but it drives like a modern truck and parts are readily available. I have spent more on the glass replacement than I did on all the rest combined.

Anyway I bought this hoist at the Farm Tech Show and will be going to pick it up and will be taking the ‘53. I have some smaller pickups but I need the wide bed for the lift. It’s missing a few things like the wiper blades, however I did install a 12 volt wiper unit but haven’t put on the blades. Linda does not like the 53.… calls it a “Rattle Trap.” and wants me to pull the utility trailer up there. Right now the lights aren’t working and I think the ‘53 is going to get to do the job.

She will follow me up to Marshfield and we will keep in touch via the cell phone…. She’ll be spending the weekend up there at the Hospital. As I write this blog she’s scowling at me to get up and put the wiper on the truck.

The little gas welder I ordered came in the mail with a video and I have been watching it. This weekend I will be practicing in the shop and in the evening I will be writing down the words in the script so I have a manuscript of the video. This is so I can practice my words if I decide to follow up on the franchise offer. I know the product will sell, I know a bit about gas welding and it is an affordable and neat little unit to have.

I better get up and get my butt in gear. We have lots to do and that wood pile is not going to cut itself.

© Copyright 2011 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/728691-Making-Plans-for-Tomorrow