*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/729054-Heat-Wave
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#729054 added July 19, 2011 at 7:43am
Restrictions: None
Heat Wave
Heat Wave

I groaned when our women lost the World Cup Soccer match yesterday. It was one of those days when you can’t catch a break and the other team is on a roll. I am happy however, for the Japanese team and the lift they gave to their country who hasn’t had much to cheer about lately.

I read a lot of “how to” books and often the instructions aren’t very instructive. Invariably the writers are experts who unwittingly make assumptions about things they think everybody should know. The ideal person to write about how to do something is someone who has just finished doing it for the first time. They know much more about what the novice needs to know than any expert.

In yesterday’s blog I talked about gluing in patch panels and I pretended I had never done it before to be as clear as possible. I was constrained to using only words that were not supplemented by any diagrams and pictures. Some people have minds that work best with symbols and diagrams and some do well with words….The best approach without a doubt is to use both. In “How To” books the quality of the photography is often so bad the pictures are not always very much help. The same is true in “Hot Rod” magazines.

We are under a severe heat and thunderstorm warning. Since there are only a couple of weeks in the summer up here where you need air conditioning we choose to not have it. This is when we must suffer the consequences.

Today I will continue my body work and maybe clean up the shop. It needs a good going over. Linda has the week planned so we can do things in the air-conditioned car and at places that have air-conditioning.

At the end of the month and early next month is the Iola Military show and the Oshkosh Air Show. Those are good shows and a great excuse to get out of the house.

I like to watch the people as much as take in the exhibits. We have a sizable Amish, Mennonite and Mung community and seeing those families about in large numbers is interesting. There is so much diversity these days and there are people from everywhere in the world in Wisconsin.

© Copyright 2011 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/729054-Heat-Wave