*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/730356-Family-vacation
by jaya
Rated: E · Book · Contest Entry · #1769138
Some contest entries for Daily Flash Fiction.
#730356 added August 1, 2011 at 10:54pm
Restrictions: None
Family vacation
Family vacation.

It was one vacation that will forever stay on my mind.

That summer, dad and mom planned our vacation to a place, which we never had been to. It was a small coastal town with great historical sights. On the one side of it were mountain ranges, and on the other, the Indian Ocean. We found it to be a perfect place for sight seeing during the day, beach sports by the evening, and moonlit nights to be enjoyed.

We had put up in the beach side hotel overlooking the wide blue sea. We saw people swimming, and the seashore resplendent with colored umbrellas

On the next morning, a tourist bus took us to the famous Mempi caves. These were the caves that sheltered the first Buddhist monks who arrived by the sea on rafts. During their stay. they painted the cave walls with frescoes, and did a lot of sculpture on the mountain ranges, which became famous tourist attractions. The guide said that, these caves dated back to 12th century A.D.

The paintings were beautiful depictions of ancient kings and queens, and the ambassadors from neighboring countries. Later, we saw the lovely sculptures of maidens, animals and deities.

The afternoons were fun with swimming and walking on the shoreline.

We went into the town in the evening, and looked around. The main street had shops displaying local products made of coir, beads, handloom silks, and cotton clothes. These were wonderfully various in color and print. Mom bought us some our choices.

We had our dinner in a typically local restaurant that served meals on plantain leaf. It was thrilling to eat from the green leaf with so many variety foods.

The five days of vacation just flew away, pleasure winged as they were!

Word count: 297
© Copyright 2011 jaya (UN: vindhya at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
jaya has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/730356-Family-vacation