*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/730357-The-Event
by jaya
Rated: E · Book · Contest Entry · #1769138
Some contest entries for Daily Flash Fiction.
#730357 added August 1, 2011 at 10:56pm
Restrictions: None
The Event
The Event

The ten-year-old girl guides got ready for the race. Kim joined the guides a few months back. Wearing a yellow scarf denoting their rank as members of the fraternity was compulsory for these girls.

As part of their physical fitness programme, annual games were held at the Girl Guide Jamboree. Kim was taking part in a walking race that required balancing an apple on the head. On reaching the winning line the contestants had to thread a needle without letting the apple fall. It was certainly not an easy task for Kim, a myopic.

There were jeers when she took up her position along with other competitors.

“Don’t lose your cool Kim darling, when others yell at you or say something funny. You just go ahead without turning your head,” her dad pumped her with confidence.

Apples were placed on the heads of the girls, one for each. When the whistle went off, Kim started walking steadily to the target. The afternoon sun was scorching. Sweat started dribbling down her nose. Yet with her concentration high, Kim made it. She took up the needle and thread, placed in her hand by one of the teachers. She lifted them to her face level and was almost done. Then her glasses slipped. She guessed she would lose.

Notwithstanding her fears, Kim went ahead with unswerving determination. Where others with less confidence would cry, she didn’t lose her courage. Dad’s words rang in her ears. The teacher took the threaded needle even before she thought she finished.

A cheer went up. She turned to see who the winner was. All were looking at her. Hooray! She, Kim Roberts won it. She ate her apple as the others did and went home with her yellow scarf flying in the evening breeze.


Word count:299

Awarded Honorable mention in the Daily flash fiction.
© Copyright 2011 jaya (UN: vindhya at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
jaya has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/730357-The-Event