*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/731422-Muses
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#731422 added August 13, 2011 at 11:04am
Restrictions: None
Muses
OK, I’ll stop harping on Economics

I think I’m boring my readers with all this talk about half-baked economic theories. What is interesting to me is not always interesting to others and if you can’t afford to pay for groceries, rent and the credit cards then discussions about precious metals are probably the furthest thing from your mind. The only thing that bores my readers less than economics are my blogs on my automotive hobby and welding hobbies. When my numbers plummet I find that I can always go back to writing about writing. That always leads to a resurgence in readers…. I wonder why….Is WDC not about writing? Duh!

I have read that great writers routinely write 4000 words a day or more. This seems a lot to me however on a good day I approach this standard. Not every day mind you but occasionally. If I am writing a novel or short story for example and get on a roll I resist stopping even when I begin to grow tired.

There are muses and there are muses and sometimes you get visited by one that is so exciting you don’t want to walk away, knowing that when you come back she will be gone and you will be back to churning out the same old dreary stuff draped in the cobwebs of your mind.

This raises an interesting point. Interesting to me anyway. That is does what we write originate in our minds or do we sort of stumble upon in in a distracted stupor and catch it by the skirt? I think it happens both ways. If there is not muse present, at least one with something worth repeating then we have to plumb the depths of our mind to come up with a topic. Often during such a process I hear the door rattle and one enters my mind and says….”What are you working on today, Percy, you frackin moron?” And I reply, “This or that or something I’m just playing around with….” And my muse answers, “Seems I have heard that topic discussed elsewhere in my travels by minds far above your pay grade….“ and I query, “ And what did they have to say? And she replies, “Something like this…“ Whereupon I listen and begin to scribble furiously to get down the gist of what the newly arrived sprit is trying to tell me.

The truth is that we don’t know very much about spirits and the clergy aren’t much that help either. As custodians of the sprit they have done a miserable job of developing our understanding of them which remains about where it was at the time of Christ. So anemic has been the effort that atheism has become rampant as many of these frauds are off chasing choir boys or trying to fondle some unsuspecting women…, so where does that leave us. It leaves us in a situation where we can’t separate the pepper from the rat poop. No doubt there are as many authentic spokespersons for the “Word” as there are sleazes but how do you really tell them apart…. Unless they try and squeeze your genitals.

Still most writers have an intuitive belief at least in a spirit…. We call it a muse and when we get on a roll they seem to be the motive force behind it. How often have you had a “Flash” and wrote something you really thought was good and reading it again a few days later said “Wow! This is not half bad!“ I am sure it happens to most writers….I does to me and I am the most ordinary of men.

© Copyright 2011 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/731422-Muses