*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/732048-The-Birth-of-a-Poet
Rated: 18+ · Book · Other · #1799901
Come sit with me on the porch. We'll sip lemonade and talk. . .
#732048 added August 20, 2011 at 11:07am
Restrictions: None
The Birth of a Poet
Karen asked us to think about a favorite poem or story and tell why we like it and when or why we wrote it.  This poem was the first to come to my mind, but I did my homework and reviewed several of my poems before deciding on this one.  This is a great blog prompt, Karen, for so many reasons.  It had me going back through my poems, enjoying them once again, and seeing how poetry has changed my life. 

This truly is one of my favorite poems because it has a lot of meaning for me, and because it really is a good poem.  It is a tribute to my favorite sister and the inspiration she is to me.  It is also most significant because it is one of my first poems.  I was 54 years old when I started writing.  Who was I to think I could write poetry?  I had always dreamed of writing poetry, but had no belief in my ability to do so at all.  Poets write poetry, not first grade teachers, or child support enforcement workers. 

Fortunately, my co-worker and good friend, SWPoet , told me about this wonderful web site she had found, and she thought I ought to join, too.  I scoffed at the idea of joining a site for creative writing.  She nudged me for several weeks; meanwhile, I began thinking about the poems my mother wrote and stuck away in an old book, afraid for anyone to find them.  After she passed away, we dsiscovered them.  Not many, but they were real poems.  So, in honor of my mother, I joined Writing.com in April of 2008.  The poem you see below is one that I wrote in July of 2008.  I started out writing a few short poems.  Though I felt completely foolish for posting them for everyone to see, I crawled out on that limb and did it.  I was overwhelmed by the encouragement I received.  It spurred me on to write more poetry.  It was like I couldn't stop.  I had all these poems in me that had been locked up inside for too long. 

Obviously, some are better than others.  I don't expect any of them to be published, but I am proud of them.  They come from my heart, and when I read back over most of them, I smile with satisfaction that this 50+ year-old woman could create a thing of beauty.  This community gave me the courage to call myself a poet.  I learned from other poets, and I even began to feel the stirrings of some stories struggling to come out.  I'm learning and practicing the skills of writing fiction.  I have so many stories to write. 

I hope you enjoy this Double Nonet I wrote for my dear, precious sister just three months after "becoming a poet."  Since it's short, I thought it would be okay to post the entire poem.  I have also included the bitem link as well.  Hey, while you're there, check out some of my other creations!  *Bigsmile*


She's A Rock

She’s a rock, shaped by weather and time.
She remains fixed amid the storms.
Loved ones cling to her against
the raging flood waters.
Beauty surrounds her.
Compassion is
her cloak, her
strength, a
shield.

Pain
stabs her,
engulfs her.
She chooses life.
She overcomes grief,
demonstrating her hope,
holding high her steadfast faith.
She remains fixed amid the storms.
She’s a rock, shaped by weather and time.


by Pat Nelson
July 15, 2008

She's A Rock   (E)
A Double Nonet dedicated to my sister, Mary Ann
#1450988 by Pat ~ Rejoice always!



"Be especially kind, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
~~Image #6000 Sharing Restricted~~





© Copyright 2011 Pat ~ Rejoice always! (UN: mimi1214 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pat ~ Rejoice always! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/732048-The-Birth-of-a-Poet