*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/732639-Another-Intermission
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#732639 added August 28, 2011 at 1:31pm
Restrictions: None
Another Intermission
I’m pretty sure I’ve not been missed, but apologies for another long absence and missing reading any exciting blog entries that may have been posted. I’m still working on my photos and notes from the trip to the USA, but must report on another first in the riveting life of Scarlett.

I’m sure many of you already know that Kåre Enga in Montana flew into Manchester airport last Wednesday for a three week stay in England. I so admire the fact he didn’t want to see the sights of London or the over-rated famous landmarks most tourists head off for. To simply sample life in England has been his aim and I’m hoping by the end of his trip he’ll be able to cross off a lot of the smaller and more unusual experiences on his list.

Kåre Enga in Montana spent the first few days of his visit with Mavis Moog in the beautiful countryside of The Peak District, where he saw and sampled many new experiences. Mavis Moog then kindly drove him to us, which gave me the opportunity to meet this bubbly, lovely lady for the first time too.

Kirkby-in-Ashfield, where I live, can hardly be described as an area of outstanding beauty or of great historical importance, but during the five days Kare stayed with us we’ve attempted to show him places of interest in the locality, as well as just getting on with the ordinary stuff of life. A couple of days we did very little, but he’s been inside a few small local shops, visited my Dad at the care home, spent time with some of my friends, taken a pleasant walk in our nearby countryside and investigated the price of carrots. *Laugh*

Other days my hubby drove us to places of interest including Newstead Abbey, Sherwood Forest, Southwell Minster, Newark-on-Trent, Nottingham Castle and Wollaton Hall. On the whole the weather was pleasant, but unfortunately we had one day when it pimply sissed down mercilessly. But that is part of the English experience too. We’ve also provided some traditional English dishes like bubble and squeak, mushy peas, Yorkshire puddings and fish and chips, which we hope have caused no digestive discomfort. *Sick* Unfortunately I was a little under the weather with the remains of a cold and cough, but then that's not uncommon for those who live in our damp and changeable climate.

Kare has an enviable zest for life, a wry sense of humour and an insatiable curiosity about almost everything. He quickly absorbed the rules of cricket after hubby had explained, something not many English people even manage. He’s extremely well-informed and eager to add new knowledge to his many experiences in every area of life. Hell, he’s taught me many things about England and its history I had no clue about. I’ve been reminded of many places I’ve neglected to visit or find out about, despite the fact they are easily accessible and I feel rather ashamed at my lack of determination to expand the one remaining cell in my pea/Pooh brain. I shall endeavour to make more effort in future.

He left us yesterday to travel by train to Manchester, where he will stay with another English WDC member in Oldham and no doubt experience a lot more, as well as taking thousands of unique photographs which I’m sure he’ll share at some stage. So, now I can say not only have I met several WDC members, but I’ve even had the honour of playing host to one in our humble home. Isn’t it amazing what can happen just by joining a writing site like this?






© Copyright 2011 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/732639-Another-Intermission