*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/733585-Nifty-Nashville
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#733585 added September 8, 2011 at 12:55pm
Restrictions: None
Nifty Nashville
I suspect my poor blog will soon be the most unfit in Blogville as exercise levels are down dramatically. Almost as poor as my own record, although I did spend three days with my sis last week, exercising our jaws and glass lifting arms mainly. Back to humdrum and dulldom now however.

So, on with the riveting entries about our long ago USA trip. I believe we were in Torrance last time I wrote anything, so next stop must be Nashville, Tennessee. It was hubby who wanted to go there as I’m no big country music fan, but am quite willing to experience any new place and add it to my list.

As expected it was very hot and humid when we arrived, but our hotel and most places we visited were efficiently air-conditioned, so it wasn’t a big problem. Also as expected, country music was everywhere and I have a feeling that may have driven me slightly more insane after any length of time. The hotel also had a fabulous indoor swimming pool which looked out onto local skyscrapers and I had all to myself. Quite surreal to think about it now.

Our hotel was in walking distance of Broadway, where all the shops, bars and restaurants played incessant country songs. But the lights and atmosphere were brilliant and the great humour exhibited in shops and by residents of this lively place much appreciated.

We enjoyed a bus tour of the surrounding area and discovered there’s a lot more to Nashville than just music. The wall of history and time capsules buried along the road were fascinating as was the Parthenon and history of the region. We also met up for dinner with a charming gentleman and his wife from the Open Salon site. They were kind enough to drive us to a restaurant serving what they described as proper southern food, most of which was delicious. I didn’t care for the grits however, but at least I know what they are now.

Preparations for the annual country music festival were underway and although we were able to sample some of the activities, we’d be moving on before the main event. It was very enjoyable though and gave us chance to meet a lot of Brits who’d flown in for this popular event. The evening concert we attended at the Grand Ole Opry was excellent, very well organised, great fun and even I enjoyed some of the performances of the more modern country singers, although I’ll still never like Carrie Underwood. Sorry.

The only downsides to the stay were the deceased cicadas dropping from the trees like an insect hailstorm and the discovery I’d lost my hairbrush. *Shock* That was soon remedied by a kind lady at the local Walgreens who went out of her way to find me the best bargain. Shop assistants and hotel staff are far friendlier and helpful than the many grumpy ones we’re used to in England. Maybe it’s something to do with the sunshine. Hubby had to purchase one of those huge cowboy hats, but we resisted the boots, not having won the Lottery before we arrived.

Along with San Diego, I’d rate Nashville as the best place we stayed in and would certainly love to return one day, God willing. Maybe I’ll even become a country music fan before then and have secured a windfall to buy some of those fabulous, pointy boots.

Photos linked below.

https://picasaweb.google.com/Eyupmeduck/NashvilleJune2011?authuser=0&feat=direct...


© Copyright 2011 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/733585-Nifty-Nashville