*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/732912-Criteria-for-Goals
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #1677545
"Putting on the Game Face"
#732912 added September 1, 2011 at 8:01am
Restrictions: None
Criteria for Goals

Criteria for Goals

Weight Index... Plus 1.8

Spelling index... Plus 3

I have these 55 gallon drums under the downspouts behind the house and shop. Linda won’t let me put them in the front… She thinks they look “Tacky” Anyway I can always tell if it rained in the night if they are full to overflowing. I take the water and use it to wet down the shrubs and tomatoes planted around the house. I also have a hundred gallon plastic tank that can be pulled around to where the hose won’t reach. I have these electric pumps that transfer the water to the tank and a power sprayer with a gas motor that I take to the field. That is useful when trying to get transplants to survive the first year… The attrition is high on trees here at “Sahara Acres.“

Last night my friend Gary dropped by. We were watching the football game. I was glad to see him actually because it wasn’t a very good game. We went out to the shop and discussed some issues with his 36 Ford Pickup. I promised to come over this morning a 9 O’clock.

This afternoon we have to take the dogs to the Vet for their distemper shots in order to get the checked into the “Pet Spa” where they will be staying when Linda and I go on our little get-away. The Lab hates the vet’s office and digs in her feet and won’t get out of the car. The Doodle likes to visit anywhere and likes all the new faces and smells… dogs and cats.

I have developed a goal of sorts and that is to get through this blog without making a spelling error. When I finish I run the spell check to see if I have any errors and if I don’t, give myself an “Atta-boy.” My spelling was horrible when I first came to this site and I have seen steady improvement the more writing I do. That should come as no surprise but it does after all these years of having errors littered throughout my work.

Another thing I try and do is not use the same word or expression twice in close proximity. What I mean is that some of the more common words are unavoidable but words that are not, I try and find substitutes. For example when I was talking about my dray I tried to find different ways to describe it like log loader or forwarder or “Tree Picker-Upper.” I didn’t actually use all these synonyms but you get the idea. Sometimes I read material that uses the same word five or six times in the course of a couple sentences and get the impression that the writer is getting lazy…. On the other hand I also read examples where a writer has stretched or gone to the thesaurus and would have been better served just using the word over again.

I need to take some pictures and use them in my blog. The reason I don’t is because I’m lazy. I write my blogs in bed in the morning and the lap-tops upstairs are not programmed for e-mail. If I want to email I go downstairs into the basement and use the “Gamester” computer. It used to be top of the line but that was five years ago and today it is considered not so very powerful. Sometimes I go downstairs and play an action game like “Half-Life.” I really liked that one and used to play it a lot.

Well as much as I enjoy talking about nothing and rambleing along, it’s time to get up and go do something useful. My daughter used to say… “See you later on.“

© Copyright 2011 percy goodfellow (UN: trebor at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
percy goodfellow has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/732912-Criteria-for-Goals