*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/734270-This-ones-about-what-we-do
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1762035
A little bit of everything, colored my own way.
#734270 added September 16, 2011 at 7:49pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about what we do.
THE PROMPT: "Give us your definition of blogging."

This is interesting, because I think since its beginning, what we've come to know as "blogging" has changed and certainly evolved over the years.

Take, for instance, this website. In its inception, Stories.com did not have a blogging tool, because blogging didn't even really exist ten years ago. People kept online journals here and at other pre-Facebook social networking sites, but to call those "blogs" seems premature. Now, if you ask me, https://www.writing.com is probably one of the Top 5 sites with tools available for blogging. The game has shifted in so many ways, and you don't have to be very web-savvy to take advantage of the features WDC offers.

Blogging to me is more than journalizing your day/week/life. Anyone can tell you how their day goes, share a random story or promote a product. Blogging involves a certain bit of creative storytelling also. A blog isn't a daily rundown; the blogger is promoting himself/herself in a way that makes people want to see more of what that writer has to say, in my opinion. I can tell you I went to the store, but you won't care unless you know what I got, how I got it, and the crazy way the cashier handled my purchase. If it's well-written, informative, strikes you as funny or the style just captivates you, you'll want to read more. You've often read me say that writers are attention whores, and it's true...sure, some of us do it to get things off our chest, but mainly, we want a reaction. That's the validation for doing what we're doing, and most writers would be lying if they said they didn't want that.

Blogging, I believe, is also another form of entertainment. I classify it in the same category as tv shows, movies, sports, and music-making. You have your favorite tv shows and actors, and you try to keep up with them whenever that timeslot is open. Same as your favorite band putting out a new cd, or your favorite sports team's game is on...you're going to want to check it out. And from having worked in a book store, I know people get worked up when their favorite author comes out with a new book. I don't watch a lot of tv, don't see a lot of movies, and I listen to a ton of music, but if those forms of entertainment can be considered "guilty pleasures", then blogging is mine. And I've heard feedback from a lot of people about it, saying that they enjoy reading it for one reason or another, which makes me feel good about doing what I do. And the numbers don't lie either; everyone who has a WDC blog knows how many views they get and (not sure if this is still true...haven't checked in quite a few years) can see the origin of how anyone came across their page (I believe it's disabled if it's outside of WDC, but again, I don't know...anyone wanna fill me in?).

All that said, I think it's also an advanced form of communication. Not as advanced as the cell phone, but c'mon, does anyone write letters anymore? Even the simple art of calling someone just to say hi is falling by the wayside (but maybe that's just me). I can honestly say that in my previous blog, "I'm Studying You, I had a cell phone that allowed me to blog right from the comfort of my own bed, without having to even lift my head. As a testament to the craziness of blog-love, in the course of about 2-1/2 years, it had 11 5-star ratings and over 9,000 views. Sure, that doesn't qualify it as "Greatest Blog Ever" or anything, but it's proof that we can do damn near anything without having to do much, and people notice. And don't let anyone say the same was true 10, 20 or 50 years ago.

MUSICAL BREAK:

Now that I've overthought the prompt a little, it's time for sad, creepy clowns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwOMnIuAGOY&ob=av2e

VITAL STATS:

*Bullet* My pennance is crushing me....I'm in charge of the prompt for this coming Sunday, the 18th, and I have no clue what I'm gonna pull off yet...any suggestions? It's gotta be good, given how critical I've been of some of the prompts already this month. I've gotta have in it late tomorrow night. Yikes.

*Bullet* Tomorrow is the big Music Is Art festival in downtown Buffalo. It was created by Goo Goo Dolls bassist Robby Takac (from Buffalo) and it's free...it features tons of bands, DJ's, exhibits and charities. There's only a few bands I'm looking to see, including my buddy Josiah (from Letterset, who I've mentioned in this space before) in his other band, Sunday Radio. Here's a few links:

http://www.musicisart.org/
http://www.myspace.com/sundayradio
http://www.goodcharamel.com/?select=artists&data=agentMe
http://www.reverbnation.com/andrewjextravaganza

Just some bands with people I've met over the years whose music I'm looking forward to hearing.

*Bullet* The Buffalo Sabres' new ownership has purchased zambonis (ice clearing machines) that employ a laser removal system. How frickin' sweet is that? Our zambonis have laser beams! This is gonna be one kickass hockey season! First, the arena's name changes from HSBC (bank) Arena to First Niagara (bank) Center, now to be more commonly known as the "F'N Center"...and now this!! Fantastic! *Laugh*

http://www.wgr550.com/pages/10914926.php?contentType=4&contentId=8946692

That's it for today folks...early, I know, but I wanted to dive in to this today. Maybe I'll get around to feeling out some of the competition a little more (like I should be doing). But there's chicken fingers on the way, so we'll see. Be good to each other, and yourselves. I'm sure I'll have something good for you tomorrow as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh7bYNAHXxw

Ted Black, president of the Sabres, promised not to do a Dr. Evil impersonation when talking about the new zambonis. I, however, could not resist.

GOODNIGHT NOW!!

© Copyright 2011 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/734270-This-ones-about-what-we-do