*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/734384-Negotiating-New-York
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#734384 added September 19, 2011 at 4:56am
Restrictions: None
Negotiating New York
It’s amazing how many shitty surprising things life can dish out between one blog entry and the next. No desire to go into detail at present, but maybe I shouldn’t be surprised by anything these days. Still, always look on the bright side and you know I’m not normally one to complain. *Rolleyes*

Back to the USA trip and our last stop before boarding the Queen Mary 2 for the long trip home. From Nashville we flew into La Guardia airport for a two night stop in New York. If we thought Nashville was hot, then New York was overpowering. Very different to last time we visited in perfect spring sunshine. Our hotel wasn’t the best we’ve had either. The room was small, the air conditioning noisy and not too effective and there was no bar due to the hotel being opposite a church. Strange rules indeed.

Finding somewhere to eat and drink the first evening proved a little problematic with the heat, crowds and unfamiliar streets. If it hadn’t been for Scarlett’s navigation skills, hubby could still be wandering the streets of New York totally lost. Now, there’s a thought *Rolleyes* ...but we all know about hindsight.

The following day we’d booked for the bus tour, hoping to do more hopping on and off than the last time we visited New York. But again the heat made this rather difficult, particularly as traffic was very slow moving. Police and security were everywhere preparing for a free evening concert in Central Park by the Black-Eyed Peas. However, we did manage a short walk through Strawberry Fields and to see the area dedicated to John Lennon designed by Yoko, so that was one ambition fulfilled.

Later that day, there’d be terrific storms which meant we had to stay close by our hotel and the cancellation of the planned concert. It helped clear the air a little, but it was still very hot when we packed to leave the next morning. We’d booked a taxi to take us to the QM2 as the yellow ones won’t go out as far as Brooklyn. Our little Chinese driver was very pleasant, but not over-talkative. It cracked me up when he stopped at the pier with eyes like saucers, whipped out his camera and exclaimed, ‘Haaaaa, big boat.’

So, one more entry and set of photos and that will be my second trip to the USA done and dusted. Maybe then I’ll feel more like whining writing about my spellbinding life back in England.

New York photo link below.

https://picasaweb.google.com/Eyupmeduck/NewYorkJune2011?authuser=0&feat=directli...



© Copyright 2011 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/734384-Negotiating-New-York