*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/734921-This-ones-about-the-domestic-division-of-labor
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1762035
A little bit of everything, colored my own way.
#734921 added September 24, 2011 at 11:13pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about the domestic division of labor.
THE PROMPT: "It has always struck me as funny how household chores are divided out. Who takes the trash out, who rakes the leaf’s, who sweeps the floors? How come I always get dishwasher duty whether I cook or not? Why do I end up walking the dogs when it’s raining? How come I always cut the lawn?

So, surely we all have some daily chores stories, whether from your own home or from when you were a child at home with your parents or guardian. Therefore, your prompt for day 24 is….The Domestic Division of Labor."


Great...another prompt guaranteed to win me no fans in the household. *Smirk*

Actually, it's pretty simple around here. Jess the CWC and I do most of the cooking, prep cleanup and post-meal cleanup. We share that pretty well and who does what is usually dependent on our schedules. The boys load and unload the dishwasher. They also take out the garbage and recycleables.

One of the boys does laundry, Jess folds it, and I live out of a laundry basket because I'm too lazy to put my clothes away. The boys also do some random dusting and vacuuming.

I'm supposed to be cleaning the upstairs bathroom. Sometimes I do, but that depends on your definition of "sometimes". Tomorrow, for example, does not fall into the parameters of "sometimes". It does, however, fall into Jess'. *Laugh*

I'm also supposed to clean out the fridge, usually before garbage day. I say we all need to do a better job around here of eating leftovers, and then it won't be so hard to clean out the fridge.

Lawn service? Part of the rent. As is the snowplowing of the driveway in the winter. "Next man up" is a good shovelling policy for the walkways.

And cats? Jess takes the role of their butler. I'll fill the dish if they're outta food. Hell, I even had the pleasure of witnessing one of them puking last night, and I nearly gagged while cleaning it up. Otherwise, unless they're clawing at my naughty bits or trying to trip me as I'm walking downstairs, they don't exist.

So it's a pretty good, fair system around here. Our house is spotless when it needs to be, is hardly ever a squalor, and basically always looks like people live there. And that's not a bad thing.

MUSICAL BREAK:

Tonight marks a new season of Saturday Night Live on NBC. Alec Baldwin hosts, along with the most amazing band since music was invented. They won't be playing this song, because it's old, but it showed up on my YouTube homepage and I thought I'd share, because it's one of my favorites. It should be listened to at full volume for maximum awesomeness. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FptCGmDLih4&feature=feedrec_grec_index

VITAL STATS:

*Bullet* I've determined that I'm no longer meant to spend extended periods of time in the sun. After helping my buddy clean up after having his folks' roof removed and carry a couple bundles of replacement shingles over to a ladder, I damn near passed out on his couch, came home and took almost a three hour nap. It was not a particularily hot day, nor was the work any bit strenuous (basically a ratio of five minutes of work to every hour of hangin' out), but the sun was bright and intense. I also have a history of heatstroke and sun poisoning, which probably worked against me. But I had fun, met some nice people and spent time with great folks, so it was so worth it.

*Bullet* Made it up in time to catch the Sabres game...this team is going to be scary this year...scary good! *Delight*

*Bullet* Radiohead will probably play this tonight on SNL, and I'm always interested in how the live versions of their new songs turn out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfOa1a8hYP8

OK, that's it for tonight my people. The DVR's set in case I don't make it all the way through SNL tonight. Hopefully I get up fairly early enough to get done everything I want to do before the NFL's unofficial Game of the Week, Patriots at Bills (Go Bills!). Take care, be well and have a great night! Til tomorrow....GOODNIGHT NOW!!

© Copyright 2011 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/734921-This-ones-about-the-domestic-division-of-labor