*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/737369-Two-and-a-Half-Men
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#737369 added October 19, 2011 at 9:11am
Restrictions: None
Two and a Half Men
      I'm not a Charlie Sheen fan. With that being said, his show was going down hill, even for a nasty, in-your-face kind of comedy. Chances are it would end soon even with Charlie still in the show. All shows end eventually because the writers simply play out the idea, and the audience tires of it. For some reason, the audience was still hanging on to Two and a Half Men despite the repetitive and predictable story lines.

      At first, I thought the show would work with Ashton Kusher since the other characters were still present, and they had memorable roles of their own. However, I'm changing my mind. The mother hasn't appeared in several episodes or even been mentioned. Jake, a key player, is no longer the cute little boy eating, producing methane, and whining like the spoiled child he is, but a teenager who should be showing more mature characteristics and interests, even for a brat. He isn't on every episode either. Besides the fact that he hauls in a huge fee for each episode, the writers are probably correct that this older teen just doesn't fit their story lines.

      However, Berta, the maid, with her blunt lower class sassiness, was good in her very minor role, but has been given a bigger part in every show. Her character just isn't good enough to pull off her constant presence. She gets annoying fast. They need to go back to the one liners and let her exit.

      Considering that Jake is older, his mother needs to take an even smaller role. It doesn't make sense for her to walk a teenager to the door. A realistic show would let her drop him off at the driveway. She'd never appear except to confront Allen about money. And that needs to play a smaller role. Jake should be asking for his own money or getting a job.

      Alan is the constant in the show. He does good physical comedy. He just appears in his underwear a little too often. The audience is going to tire of watching this underdog in his antics. The show is winding down with or without Charlie. How many different ways can we watch a nerd miss out on success and happiness while others around him find some temporary bliss?

      As for Kusher's role, the story lines aren't consistent. Is he really as innocent as he tries to appear or just faking? One minute he doesn't know he's getting high from the special brownies, but a few minutes later he states the bikini team is getting "high on brownies". He loves his wife, but will go with any woman who shows temporary interest in him. The writers just don't seem to be paying attention to detail.

    The show has probably run past its limits. It will hang on only because of the determination of the producer and the network to prove they didn't make a mistake canceling it when Charlie left.   

© Copyright 2011 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/737369-Two-and-a-Half-Men