*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/738905-YouTube
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #1437803
I've maxed out. Closed this blog.
#738905 added November 7, 2011 at 8:28pm
Restrictions: None
YouTube
  I love to go to YouTube. I look up a song that's sticking in my brain, and then listen to it repeatedly, sometimes by different artists. It's amazing how one song can be interpreted so differently by so many different people. And sometimes, I am able to pick "the" definitive version. Usually, I like several.

    For instance, "You Don't Know Me" was originally song by Eddie Arnold. I've always been a big fan. He's mellow and has a very smooth, masculine voice. His classical training allows him to hit each note perfectly and enunciate clearly. He does a superb job with this song. Others, like Ann Murray, have done an okay job, but have not surpassed him. I never heard Michael Bolton do it, until I listened to Eddie on YouTube. Wow, dynamite modern version. However, Michael Grimm-from America's Got Talent- has surpassed them all. He sings it with heart and emotion, and you feel his pain. Before Bolton, the words were sad and sweet and melancholy. With Bolton, they took on more power. With Grimm, the words are sad words, anguished words; he makes you feel the heartbreak.

      I listened to many people sing the Christmas song, "Mary, Did You Know". Wynona Judd and Kenny Rogers were the only ones for a while, and it was a good song. They're both good singers, and the song is moving. Reba adds a twang to it and makes it everyday and approachable (it's a hard song for a choir). Finally, I found Kathy Mattea. She has the ultimate version of this song. Her voice is rich and gives this song the depth and seriousness it deserves. She's smooth, and performs it perfectly. It really is the best version, no matter how good the others may be.

    "The Christmas Song" has been recorded by dozens of people. I haven't picked a favorite. Mel Torme, Nat King Cole, James Taylor.... the list goes on. However, this brings me to another aspect of YouTube that I don't like. (We won't get into copyrights, bad recordings, lousy videos, etc) The comments are frequently outrageous. Why people get so angry and have to swear over everything is beyond my imagination. If you don't like something, don't listen to it; don't inflict your nasty, hateful thoughts on the rest of us who happened to glance at the comments while listening to a song. (I've never commented on one, which is why I'm venting here.) However, occasionally, the owner of the video site puts erroneous info out there. Misinformation is prolific on the internet (Bet you never heard that before.).

      On one video of "The Christmas Song" with Torme and Cole, the note says that Torme never wrote any verses until the sixties and Cole recorded it in the 40's. Truth: Torme wrote the song with lyricist Bob Wells. They wrote the lyrics together, and Torme did all of the music, and they wrote it in its entirety in less than 40 minutes. No words were added later. Two years or so after they wrote it, the Nat King Cole Trio recorded it for the first time. This version was a big hit, and went into the Grammy Hall of Fame in the 90's. The Cole Trio recorded it one more time with strings. Later, Cole recorded it with the Nelson Riddle Orchestra, then recorded it again later with a different orchestra director in stereophonic. Meanwhile, Torme recorded it 4 or 5 times in the 60's and beyond.

      Both singers had very mellow voices, and it would be hard to say which is the best. Cole probably sold more copies, but I can't verify that. Torme lived longer and performed it live more often. Since he wrote it, to many, it was Torme's song. The Velvet Fog maintained his gentle style and perfect tone into his old age. He hit the high notes at the end better than most young men.

      I plan to keep using YouTube. I wish that the reorders would get accurate data before writing comments. And visitors like myself should be censored for profanity. Disagreement is fine, but personal attacks and maliciousness are not necessary.

   

© Copyright 2011 Pumpkin (UN: heartburn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pumpkin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/738905-YouTube