*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/742991
by Shaara
Rated: 13+ · Book · Holiday · #1837134
Sometimes we just want to read about the holiday we're closest to.
#742991 added December 1, 2013 at 4:36pm
Restrictions: None
Home For the Holidays: Flash Fiction
"This Christmas we'll just relax," said my mother.


The following is a piece that was required to be 200 words or less. This story is exactly 200.


Home for the Holidays




“Yes, Mom. I’ll drive up for Christmas.”

“Good, you need time to relax. You work too hard."

“A little rest sounds great, Mom.”

Four hundred miles later, having become intimately familiar with the back bumpers of several dozen cars, I pulled into my mom’s driveway. She walked out -- her cane, which she uses only when she wants something, tapping the ground like a blind person’s.

“You’re finally here,” Mom said, her eyes brighter than Christmas. “Just in time for the grocery store. Can we stop at the post office, too?”

She was leaning on the cane like she really needed it. I nodded, stretched my back, tried not to feel guilty for wishing I could just unwind.

~~~

The three days of my vacation rushed by. I decorated the tree, took it down, installed several appliances, fixed the computer, and balanced Mom's checkbook. Then, time to return home, I loaded up the car and drove the same four hundred miles -- bumper to bumper.

I called the moment I arrived home.

“You home already?" Mom said. “Aren’t you glad you took some time off to have a good rest?”

“Sure am. Thanks, Mom. Love you,” I said, chuckling softly.


(200 words)



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
© Copyright 2013 Shaara (UN: shaara at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Shaara has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/742991