*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/743021-This-ones-about-happinesshappiness
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1762035
A little bit of everything, colored my own way.
#743021 added January 2, 2012 at 11:54am
Restrictions: None
This one's about happiness...happiness??
THE PROMPT: "What makes you happy this New Year?"

Happy New Year friends! It's time for the obligatory reflections and random statements about things we want to change/improve/lose/etc...and in a month (or less) realize that, well, we are who we are, and force ourselves to love ourselves and each other anyway.

What's gonna make me happy this New Year? I'm simple. I try (and the operative word being "try") to not let the highs get too high and the lows get too low. I've been described by some as "easy-going" and "pretty much goes with the flow of things", and that's fairly accurate these days. I'm fairly adaptable also, which is just another way of saying "what might make me happy today might be totally different answer on any other day".

I don't really have many long-term, big-picture answers for this, and the reason is simple: "He who expects little is seldom disappointed." That may have been the smartest piece of advice ever taken from a fortune cookie, ever. I really believe in that...why should I subscribe to some (likely attainable) goals set for myself in January when I know myself well enough to know that I will probably let myself down by not getting into better shape, not cutting back on my vices, or not becoming a nicer, more well-rounded individual? Don't get me wrong...it's not all due to lack of ambition. When I'm 100% all-in on something, I'm 110% all-in. That's why I won't subject myself to things like resolutions, or attempt to predict today how something may or may not make me happy six or ten months from now.

That said, I will allow myself a little speculation on a few things that could happen this year that I can offer at least a 90% success rate of happiness (because the cautious side of me...and yes, there lies some caution in me these days...has to leave a little margin for error).

*Partyhatr* I'd like to see my Bills and Sabres do something other than mire in their years of mediocrity. I want them to provide me with something more than false hope for a few weeks. It's a little much to ask for a championship this year, but I'd like some sustained pleasure from at least one of these teams.

*Partyhatr* I wouldn't mind winning this next edition of the "30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS, but I think this group of entrants provides a bit more competition. And while we're at the topic of the "30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS, if my memory serves me right, in 2011 it's been held in months that had thirty-one days. Let's look into having a 30-Day Blog Challenge in months where there's only thirty days. Sorry, I'm a stickler for detail on occasion. *Pthb*

*Partyhatr* I'd prefer to maintain my meaningful employment, even if I realize that it may occasionally sap me of my day-to-day happiness. I'll take that trade, if only because parting with money to maintain things like the roof, the phone, the internet, the gas, etc. is a slightly lesser evil than not actually having a job.

*Partyhatr* Probably the most important thing would be the continued health and happiness of our little family here. Or, well, when it comes to health, maybe the restoration of it after three of the four of us get over our colds/sicknesses/whatever you want to call them.

Yeah, that's it. As for my short-term happiness? I'll settle tonight for a good poop and a solid nap. We'll see how that works out.

MUSICAL BREAK!!

I can tell you until you're blue in the face from listening to me that I am a happy person all of the time. When the color returns to normal in your face, I'll listen to you tell me that you know me a little better than that. I'm not miserable; I'm a realist. I know it's not always easy to put a smile on every situation you come across. Maybe that's why I enjoy this song so much. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIjR-VGId4k

VITAL STATS:

*Football* The Bills took on the Patriots and jumped out to a 21-0 lead! Then they forgot to show up for the final three quarters and lost 49-21. #thankgoodnessIdonthavetocaretilSeptember.

{e:<insert the hockey emoticon that STILL doesn't exist "here">} So I was invited to play in a little event called "The Cheektowaga Winter Classic", a pick-up hockey game. It's been about five years since I strapped the pads on and stood between the pipes, but I was looking forward to this, even though it was outside and a little sprinkly out. So I got myself out of bed a little early, got ready, loaded my gear up and headed to the park this event was held in, only to find that all of no one showed. Turns out it was cancelled/being rescheduled. Good thing I was able to get a hold of someone to at least let them know I was running a few minutes late just so I could find out I didn't need to leave the house at all. The silver lining of this? Had I actually played hockey, I most likely would've missed the only part of the Bills' game that I was able to enjoy.

*Bullet* The best part of New Years' festivities? For me, nowadays it's not the all-night binge drinking, ball-dropping (hee hee hee), the wonder of who's gonna kiss you at midnight, naw man, none of that. It's all of the year-ending "Best Of" and "Worst Of" lists. I love lists and the discussions and debates they inspire. I know, I'm a dork like that. Hey, I think I found something that'll make me happy...now if only I can figure out how to make it last for 364 more days. *Pthb*

That's all for tonight....gonna work on those "short term" goals for happiness and see how the rest of the night goes. Peace and prosperity to all of you in the year of 2012...may you all find happiness, joy and success in all you do this year. GOODNIGHT NOW!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXSOD1N5lR4

© Copyright 2012 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/743021-This-ones-about-happinesshappiness