*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/743285-Good-Deeds
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#743285 added January 4, 2012 at 4:21am
Restrictions: None
Good Deeds
Three days into the New Year and I'm already beginning to suspect it's the Chinese year of the Murphy or something. Unexpected, frustrating and time consuming mishaps are piling up, making me wake up wondering what calamity lies ahead today. I must try to remain my positive self however. *Rolleyes*

One example relates to a decision my sister and I reached at the end of December. Every year we record chosen events, thoughts or ideas each day to compare at the end of every month. We've tried hopes, dreams, funny incidents, inspiring moments and pleasant memories. The aim is to try and promote positivity, meaning and upliftment, particularly during the last few very painful years. This year we decided to write down a good deed for each day, hoping that would inspire us to be nicer people and feel more purposeful.

On Monday I didn't need to look far to find a reason to perform a good deed when my son phoned to say his laptop was on its last legs, Mey Ling and the children had bumper Humbug gifts compared to him, so I thought it the ideal opportunity to step in and treat him, something I've rarely been able to afford before. It's vital he has a laptop to work from home (and play Football Manager) so I told him to head off to his local PC World store, choose a laptop he liked then call me and I'd pay for it over the phone with my credit card. He was delighted and thanked me profoundly which is what makes good deeds worthwhile.

The first problem arrived when he called to say he'd found one he liked, but the store wouldn't take the order over the phone. I don't live near enough to where he was to go there and don't drive anyway, so they suggested I buy it online. After locating the site, the laptop he wanted and filling in pages of details about my date of birth, marital status, hair colour, delivery address, favourite film etc etc I clicked the button to place the order. Eureka - NOT. I received the message saying my credit card had been declined and to contact my bank or purchase the laptop another way.

After various attempts, being put on hold, explaining to five different people what the problem was, the bank finally informed me they'd blocked my card as the intended payment was rather high and described it as abnormal activity on my account. Despite the fact they knew it was me and could see clearly there was enough money in the account to cover the purchase I then had to go through a security check answering questions like my stepdaughter's age, my son's birthday, what time my hubby went to the loo, my best friend's dress size and the colour of pants I wore last Sunday. Eventually they agreed to unlock my card and allow me to pay for a purchase out of my own bank account. Gee thanks.

After filling all the details online yet again the afternoon was gone, but at least I'd performed my good deed and could polish my halo. The following morning I received a phone call from PC World asking why the delivery address for the laptop was different to my own. I explained it was a gift for my son who by some strange coincidence has the same surname as my own *Rolleyes*, but no, they claimed it wasn't standard procedure so would have to carry out a security check. After revealing my postcode, my son's address, my sister's favourite drink, the name of my grandson's teddy and the medical conditions of my mother-in-law they finally agreed to deliver the laptop the bank had allowed me to pay for out of my own money, but I was in no mood to throw a party in order to thank them for their kindness.

So today hopefully my son will have his new laptop and I can go out with my friend Joy and look for another opportunity to perform a good deed, though I'll try to avoid it involving any credit cards. Maybe I'll just buy her a few drinks using real money and hope that causes no problems other than a hangover.

© Copyright 2012 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/743285-Good-Deeds