*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/743357-This-ones-about-the-smaller-scale-fix
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1762035
A little bit of everything, colored my own way.
#743357 added January 5, 2012 at 6:36pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about the smaller scale fix.
THE PROMPT: "In 200 words or more, write a post about a world-wide issue that you feel needs support."

Ugh. Oh boy. That was my initial response when I saw this prompt.

I'll never claim to be overly-knowledgable about the state of the world. Let's get that out of the way. Sure, I still read an actual print newspaper on a daily basis, but I usually skip the first (national) section unless something really catches my eye and piques my interest. I generally head to the sports section, followed by the local section. If time permits, I'll read the entertainment section. I guess the only way I find out anything about what's going on halfway across the planet is if MSN.com has any interesting stories...and even then, I usually read the headlines. I probably know more of what's going on around the world from people who really care...on Facebook. *Laugh*

So call it a cop-out, call it "skirting the issue/prompt", say what you will, but here's where I'm going. Global hunger and famine. Not a really big problem in the United States, but we're a country that tends to believe if another country has problems, it's our problem too. **Looks at Haiti and Japan**...you're welcome!

Seriously though, there's plenty of people in poor countries who don't eat. No matter how much we try to assist them on a national level, there's still gonna be people in other countries that we can't reach. Maybe it's a grand-scale case of there being too many mouths to feed, and not enough food going around. Sorta like the Occupy movements, but replacing the money with food. I'm not asking you to send your leftovers to Egypt. I would never suggest you sponsor a kid like on those creepy UNICEF commercials (don't mind the blatant overuse of the eff word...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GePMpDjrubg) . I can't even suggest a way to solve this problem.

But I can suggest starting on a local level. Look in your pantry, or, if you're not 97 years old and either straight from Poland or Italy like my great-grandmothers, your kitchen cabinets. You know, the ones you keep the food in. You know there's shit in there from 6 years ago that, even if it's still outdated, back then they put so many preservatives in it, it'll probably last longer than you anyway. And the truly hungry people? They're not gonna mind if it expired during Operation Desert Storm in the nineties. Oh no. They're gonna be happy they can put something different (if anything) on the dinner table.

So maybe you've got a can or two in your cupboard that everyone in the house jokes about, but never eats. For us, it's a can of mixed vegetables with some label on it that I've never seen in stores. Not the major grocery stores, not the deep-discount grocery stores, not the big-box retailers with expanded grocery sections...nowhere. And maybe you've got a box of Rice-A-Roni in there too that you bought when it was on sale 4/$5, but decided the San Franciscans can keep their treats. Maybe it's just some pudding or Jello. So you clear it out, put it in a bag, and take it to the local food pantry. Cuz even though you're still livin' in the mighty United States, there's probably people in your own neighborhood that can't put together a dinner without struggling. It happens...maybe there's an illness or an unforseen job loss. Circumstances happen...I know. Where else do you think that can of mixed veggies in our cupboard came from? There was a short time in my life where I had no income, couldn't qualify for any assistance, and still had to eat. Told the local pantry my plight and I walked out with a bag of food, which I was able to stretch out until the next time I was eligible. It wasn't gourmet by any means, but it got me by when I needed it. And your donation might help a neighbor.

Ahhh, the "feel good blog entry" of the month!

MUSICAL BREAK!!

I just can't stop with the love!! I'll admit, I downloaded this from iTunes when it came out. What is it about celebrity tribute video gatherings like this, where all these rich, famous people look like they've either lost a loved one, about to cry, or crapped themselves? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glny4jSciVI&ob=av3e

VITAL STATS:

*Question* Am I the only one who thinks the USA takes better care and looks out more for other countries than they do for their own people? Just sayin'.

*Check* Holy crap! Foursquare has just informed me that today was my 1,000th check-in! That's so....lame. For this momentous occasion, I've been offered 40% at https://www.foursquarestore.com. I didn't even know they had a store.

Ok folks, the show's over for tonight. Move along toward better things to do for another 24 hours or so...I know I will. Take care of yourselves and each other, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYXiRun2jNY

Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.

© Copyright 2012 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/743357-This-ones-about-the-smaller-scale-fix