*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/744447-This-ones-about-waking-up
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1762035
A little bit of everything, colored my own way.
#744447 added January 16, 2012 at 10:32pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about waking up.
THE PROMPT: "When you went to sleep last night, it was in your own bed or familiar surroundings. You wake up this morning in a strange bed and unfamiliar surroundings. You recognize your reflection with some differences, the face in the mirror is an older/younger version of you. Everyone you meet knows you, but by a different name. Where are you? What is your name? How do you believe you arrived in your present location?"

Well, hello there, friends. Quite the interesting prompt tonight, as opposed to the train wreck last night's prompt turned into. I'm glad I wasn't alone in that aspect.

Here's where I get a little weird tonight. Let's set aside the fact that lately I've been able to remember my dreams, which is something that rarely happens anymore. And they've been weird, to say the least. Let's also toss out my sordid past, where I've woken up next to a stranger or two (or is it once or twice woken up to a stranger...I get that confused). Ok, I'm done being weird. For now. *Smirk*

I've had many phases in my life. I've met many people and made a lot of great friends. I've made impressions on people, many of which have made impressions on me. I'm very grateful for that, even if all that means is "I can't hold a job for more than four years, and yet these people are still my Facebook friends anyway". All 13-friggin'-hundred of you.

But I digress. I had a job at a local electronics retailer for almost five years, and I made a ton of friends and learned a lot during that time. The catch? Our name buttons also carried a "nickname". And I'm willing to guess that 95% of the company was known more by their nickname than their real name.

How does this tie in to the prompt? Dreams. I recently have run into old coworkers, family members, and other people that knew me as more than just my real name. It was either a nickname or an experience...and I carried those into my dreams for some reason. I went by "Bert" in my last blog, partially because it was my nickname not only at that electronics job, but my cousins called me that for a short time, and it was something I was called in Boy Scouts when I was a kid. I could go on about names and nicknames, but that'll hafta wait for another time.

So on to the actual prompt. I wake up to an older version of me...a much older version than I can even imagine, yet a version that can still function the same way I can now (I have my faculties, and I'm not crapping myself). I'm still the same. I'm whoever I'm known as. They all know me as how they've known me, whether it was as a kid or an adult. Maybe I'm in the same bed I fell asleep in...maybe I'm not. Maybe it's a hospital gurney. Maybe the mirror I'm looking into isn't really showing me "me"...maybe I'm seeing a lot less gray hairs. Maybe it's a country club. We can golf! Only I've never golfed in my life outside of a driving range. Maybe I got here because I couldn't remember how I got anywhere. Maybe it's a dream. Or maybe I have a disease that doesn't allow me to remember anything.

MUSICAL BREAK!!

All I could think of during this prompt was this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMAe31FFHbo&ob=av2e

VITAL STATS:

*Thumbsdown* Yup, another botched prompt/entry. *Rolleyes*

*Thumbsdown* Sabres are down 3-0 after one period.

*Thumbsup* I finally watched PJ20 today. Nostalgic and impressive. It really took me back to a lot of places. Top five all-time music dvd's (subject to change, and in no particular order):

Pearl Jam, "PJ20"
Wilco, "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart"
Radiohead, "Meeting People Is Easy"
Atmosphere, "Sad Clown Bad Dub"
The Tragically Hip, "That Night In Toronto"

That's it for tonight folks...I promised justjessica1 I'd fold some laundry, so I guess I'd better get to it, lest I have to pack it. Have a better night friends...peace, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwi8m4SIejE

© Copyright 2012 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/744447-This-ones-about-waking-up