*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/746899-Mindful-Appreciation-in-Action
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #930577
Blog started in Jan 2005: 1st entries for Write in Every Genre. Then the REAL ME begins
#746899 added February 19, 2012 at 8:24pm
Restrictions: None
Mindful Appreciation in Action
Always had a love of cinematic fare. No, I'm not talking about the popcorn and Red Vines. I realize, first it was the scores that captured my attention. Back in the Seventies and Eighties, the only way to enjoy a portion of the movie experience at home was to purchase and play the soundtrack album. Star Wars, Chariots of Fire, Top Gun...I know I'm not the only desperate one who did this before the public sale of video tapes. It was difficult to purchase some soundtracks, despite it being big business. The music for Blade Runner was one of those I had a hard time tracking down at the time. I'm not even sure what I was reliving as I played that cassette tape of the mostly Vangelis music. I might have just been savoring my growing independence in selecting how to be entertained.

Harrison Ford in a Los Angeles dystopia from the mind of Ridley Scott. Used to be one of my favorite movies, notably, for being the only movie that I lied about my age to get into. Seeing the equally violent, R-rated, Excalibur the year before with my dad, clinched the decision to see this one on my own. My first, best step into real science fiction (Star Wars was space opera, an episode of The Young and the Restless compared to this movie!). It was only last year that I read the original Philip K. Dick story that the film, Blade Runner, came from. Now, I prefer what he wrote to what they created for the screen. Although I'm not sure I could have appreciated it when I was fifteen. And now I can look out my window from work and see the Bradbury Building. A nice loop of appreciation.


Best line from Tin Man (2007)
"You know you really should do something about that BITTER cynicism of yours Cain."

Cain:
"Why? Someones gotta keep your wide eyed optimism in check."
DDOSF gift courtesy of Highwind

© Copyright 2012 Walkinbird 3 Jan 1892 (UN: walkinbird at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Walkinbird 3 Jan 1892 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/746899-Mindful-Appreciation-in-Action