*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/747584-I-remember-my-grandmothers-Ambrosia
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1540953
The Continuing Saga of Prosperous Snow
#747584 added February 21, 2012 at 9:55pm
Restrictions: None
I remember my grandmother’s Ambrosia
February 21, 2012 ~ 30-Day Blogging Challenge prompt is Ambrosia, according to Wikipedia, is the food or drink of the gods. In some stories, Ambrosia is the food and Nectar is the drink, while in other stories, Nectar is the food and Ambrosia is the drink; in other stories, the terms are interchangeable. In either case, Ambrosia is the food that the Greek gods either consume or create for various purposes. In addition to mythology, Ambrosia also has a place in cooking as either a fruit salad or a cake using yogurt, fruit, whipped cream, and a store-bought angel food cake. Write a story about it, a recipe for it, or something else about Ambrosia.


I remember my Grandmother Newland making ambrosia. Whenever there was a pot luck that the Southern Baptist Mission in the Smelter Heights in Blackwell, Oklahoma, she mad Ambrosia. At Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s one of the dishes Grandma made was Ambrosia. When the Reverend came to her house for dinner, she made ambrosia.

I remember some of the ingredients, which Grandma used. Grandma used a can of mixed fruit, fresh bananas, small marshmallows, shredded coconuts, and whipped cream or cool whip. I think she also used some type of nuts, especially at Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Day. I don’t think Grandma used anything else. I always enjoyed eating Grandma’s Ambrosia.

Mom used to make Ambrosia occasionally, but she hasn’t made since she was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease. I miss eating Ambrosia, so I think I will attempt to make it myself. I have to see what type of fruit we have in the cupboard. I don’t think we have mixed fruit, but I could be wrong. I know we don’t have any nuts, small marshmallows, or bananas. Since I have to go to the grocery store again either Friday or next Monday, I’ll get the rest of the ingredients we need to make Ambrosia. I may even try my hand at an Ambrosia cake. I can look up the recipe for that on the internet and get the ingredients while I’m at the grocery store.

FORUM
30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS  (13+)
WDC's Longest Running Blog Competition - Hiatus
#1786069 by Fivesixer


© Copyright 2012 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/747584-I-remember-my-grandmothers-Ambrosia