*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/747699-This-ones-about-losing-it
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1762035
A little bit of everything, colored my own way.
#747699 added February 23, 2012 at 6:52pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about losing it.
THE PROMPT: "Say you either lost the mental capability to write (by losing interest or no longer being able to write otherwise)...what would you do? Or, how would you cope with having to urge to write a lot, but not having the use of your hands?"

Wow, what a day folks...there's a lot to get to, so I'll get the prompt out of the way. Considering I came up with it last night, I've had a little time to ponder it.

Writing almost comes as second nature to me. It always has been. Even back in my days of schooling, while the others dreaded writing anything in English class, I was secretly smiling inside and already plotting my words. So to lose something that seems to come as natural to me as thinking or breathing...wow. It'd be devastating.

Now, I don't spend as much time on WDC as I used to. Basically, I check a few emails, bang out an entry, check a few other blogs out, and retire from the site for the day. If I'm off work, maybe I spend a little more time, check out a few more items, or come back a few times throughout the day if I'm not actually having any kind of life to live on that day. So let's just say on the average day, I'm here actively for about an hour, and then in the midst of doing other things I'll leave this tab up and hover back and forth. That's one more hour or so in my life dedicated to something else, I figure.

Also, losing interest wouldn't necessarily kill my writing. It's evidenced by the fact that I haven't written a solid poem (one I would consider myself to be happy with) in maybe four or five years. I don't think it's any coincidence that it's around the time I started blogging. So I guess if I were losing interest, maybe I'd switch things up and see what happens. Hell, that's how I pretty much ended up right where you're reading me now...I lost interest in that blog, it got boring, life circumstances changed, I took some time off, and here's where your eyes and my words now intersect. And we're all better for it *Wink*.

But say I was physically no longer capable to write. Damn. I'd be physically incapable of doing so much more also, coupled with this burning desire in my limp fingers to actually create something. To not be able to hold a pen...to not be able to type...I don't even know what I would do. Or do I? It so may not do me any good right now, especially if this software no longer exists, but it kinda should still, in some form or another...a few years ago I had one of those miniature voice recorders from Sony, and it was fantastic! It came with software that I never really bothered to play with much, made by a company called Dragon, and that software was Naturally Speaking. Basically, you plugged your recorder into your computer, uploaded your voice files, and Dragon's software would learn your voice and transcibe your notes. Pretty neat, huh? Although, if I had no fingers, it'd still be all of a big ol' pain in the ass to find the work-arounds. However, assuming I would never be on my own, I could probably get someone to help me out with the stuff I would have to touch. Good thing I'm not a crazy germophobe *Smirk*.

Now, that's all assuming that this technology exists in some way, shape or form. If it didn't, wow...karma must've really felt I needed an ass-whoopin' for making my words say what they say. I'd probably then be given the gift of having a Pullitzer, a Nobel Prize or two, and several Quill Awards all written in my head, with no way to unlock them. Wow, that would suck. So yeah, not having hands? The second-worst part of it would be not being able to communicate the way I want to in that respect. The actual worst part? Naw, man, c'mon. *Smirk* You really don't need to know. *Laugh*

MUSICAL BREAK!!

Perhaps I should've put more thought into this portion of the entry when coming up with this prompt. Ugh. Decision time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyX-Vl5Di6U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=LkX5LaVicUs

VITAL STATS:

*Pencil* So, what's going on with the "Blog Challenge" forum? I get this email, ok, it's the same email all the group members got, that says I'm now an administrator *Confused* of the forum. Only, Earl keeps referring to me as "Michael", and that's definitely not my name. Surely he's referring to Thundersbeard 30DBC JULY HOST ? Right? His name's Michael. Then I get an email from Julie D - PUBLISHED! , asking when I changed my name. Then a few more emails about it, including one from Michael himself. All I can say is thank God for the clarification, and yeah, I nearly did have a heart attack. Not that it doesn't seem like an interesting challenge, but man, that forum is a tire fire now. And I don't think it's ever gonna be the same. Besides, while I'm known for my ability to play nice with almost everyone in any given scenario, I don't see that forum being one of them. And if you think this point is about you, it probably is *Wink*. The hilarious point? As of this moment, I think I have admin functions open to me. Not that I'd even know what they are besides the changes I already see, but whatever. Why would I wanna screw with anything?

*Quill* Oh yes, the Quill Awards, as I mentioned up above. If you haven't heard, I've been nominated for two awards at WDC's most prestigious ceremony! Please take a minute and check out the nominees here: "Invalid Item. You'll find me under "Best Blog" and "Best Comedy". And if you'd be so kind, take a second to stop here and vote for me at: "Invalid Item. And for all of those who aren't WDC members but still follow this piece of internet pastry, take a second to sign up for a free WDC account so you can vote for me, or everyone else but me in the categories I'm nominated in. And while you're in the electoral mood, you'll notice Julie D - PUBLISHED! 's name all over the nominations...vote for her too! But hurry!! The deadline for voting is tonight at one minute before midnight, WDC time. Sorry, there wasn't much of a window open to vote in, and I forgot to mention this little flaming nugget of info yesterday. My bad! Besides, who needs to win a "Blog Challenge" when you can have the "Best Blog Of 2011" trophy chillin' on your virtual mantle? *Thumbsup*

Recap: Quill awards voting ends tonight at 11:59pm. Vote! And if you're not a member of writing.com, sign up for free here: http://www.writing.com/main/books/action/view/entry_id/101_get_started#top, and then vote for me using the links I've provided up above. Simple!

Ok, that's all I have for you tonight. Gonna cross my fingers and dot my eyes and brush my teeth and say my prayers...Quill winners will be announced before the end of February, and if you're not taking part of the virtual ceremony, I'll keep you posted. That's it. Peace, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIeoQKoTp-U

© Copyright 2012 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/747699-This-ones-about-losing-it