*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/748109-There-is-no-such-thing-as-a-free-lunch-or-anything-else
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1540953
The Continuing Saga of Prosperous Snow
#748109 added March 1, 2012 at 12:28pm
Restrictions: None
There is no such thing as a free lunch or anything else
March 1, 2012 Thursday, Day 1 ~ 30-Day Blogging Challenge prompt is OPINION PIECE - When is Free Better? When Not?


After 65 years of life, I realize the wisdom of the saying “There is no such thing as a free lunch”. Actually, there is no such thing as a “free” anything. Even freedom itself has a price. I didn’t understand this when I was under 20.

It was between the years of 20 and 60 that the truth slowing dawned on me. It took me a long time to understand that if I got something “free” there was an unseen price or a sacrifice. Sometimes the free “item” requires a sacrifice of time, sometimes money, and sometimes freedom itself.

Thinking back across the years, I attempt to remember the precise moment when I begin to realize that if it’s free then the price might be more then what I want to pay. I can’t remember a specific incident because I think this lesson resulted from an accumulation of wisdom over the years.

I know that as a child, growing up in Oklahoma, I received everything “free”. My parents and grandparents gave me anything I wanted. At the time, I didn’t realize it was “if they could afford it”. I did know that sometimes I had to wait until my birthday or Christmas to receive the item I wanted, but I didn’t understand why.

Thinking back, I realize that Mom and my Grandparents must have make some sacrifices to give my siblings and me both the necessities of life and our wants. It was only after I reached the age of maturity that I began to think about the cost of things; however, I only considered the monetary cost. It took me a while to realize that some free items require sacrifices that are not monetary.

FORUM
30-Day Blogging Challenge ON HIATUS  (13+)
WDC's Longest Running Blog Competition - Hiatus
#1786069 by Fivesixer


© Copyright 2012 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/748109-There-is-no-such-thing-as-a-free-lunch-or-anything-else