*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/748596-This-ones-about-the-news
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1762035
A little bit of everything, colored my own way.
#748596 added March 8, 2012 at 7:37pm
Restrictions: None
This one's about the news.
THE PROMPT: "Newspapers and How I Would Change Them."

What's up everybody? Interesting subject we've got going on here today, considering that I'm still a holdover from what appears to be soon a bygone era. I still buy a newspaper every day. I even manage to read probably 80% of its stories also. In this day and age, given the way the internet allows us to disseminate information in such instant and immediate basis, I still think it's classier to have that paper in my hand. The smell of newsprint...the way the ink rubs off on your fingers...it's more tangible, even if I could've read the same story 12 hours earlier on http://www.buffalonews.com/. The layout of the physical copy of The Buffalo News seems much simpler to me, and I know my way around a computer. Sometimes websites just throw a bunch of links on a page, and you have to hope what you're clicking is going to take you to where you want to go (and hopefully that's not to some ad/scam that raids your defenseless bank account). With the paper, I can pull out the section I want and read the stories that interest me. They're all there in front of you...not just the titles, but the whole article. And if I don't care for the article? I stop reading it and scan the page for another one, as opposed to clicking on a title, realizing it wasn't what I wanted, clicking back, and clicking another article. Too much clicking for me.

Are there other benefits to having an actual piece of printed journalism in your hands as opposed to buying internet access in order to view a digital copy of events and happenings? Sure! For one, I can do the crosswords and words games and Sudoku, and all I need to have is a pen. Sure, some newspaper websites offer "digital" versions of these games, but that takes the fun out of them, and some aren't as challenging as some of the crosswords in my paper. Another benefit? A newspaper is very easily recycled. When I'm done with it, it goes into the bin with the rest of the stuff we've consumed during the week that features recyclable packaging, which gets placed out to the curb on Mondays for a Tuesday pick-up. Ever try recycling a computer? It's a pain in the ass...you have to wait for someone to hold an "Electronics Recycling Day", you have to find the obscure location it's being held at, and hope they don't charge you some weird disposal fee. See? Another +1 for the print industry!

Now, as far as changing the newspaper, let me fill you in on something. I'm a lazy person...I'm not gonna lie about that. There are two things in life that are often necessary, and they're possibly the two things I despise more than most of these "necessities": shaving, and cleaning the bathroom. And oftentimes, the first one often leads to the second one. See, I shave at the most maybe once or twice a month, and I can grow some pretty impressively massive facial hair. So much so that I have to use electric clippers to trim it down...and those clippers don't discriminate when they decide where to throw the shorn hair. That means facial hair all over the bathroom sink, and that's a displeasure to the other members of the house who would prefer to use a clean sink area. My solution to this disruptance of my life when an added cleaning of the bathroom is warranted due to the cleaning of my facial area? Before I shave, I lay newspaper down all over the sink area. I cover the soap, the combs and brushes, the toothbrushes, the hair sprays and gels, and all the fancy stuffs one justjessica1 uses to enhance her look and smell. Now, how do I change that when I'm done? I start in one corner, rolling up the paper toward the center and trapping the hair in it, and while holding the center down with one hand, I roll up each additional corner until I have a large ball of newspaper, and then I throw it out (cuz there's almost no sense in coming up with anything my ex-beard could possibly be recycled in) by lifting the garbage can under the sink up as close to the edge, as not to spill any loose hairs. And if I miss a spot and need to run over my face once more with the clippers, I just lay down a few more sheets. Quick, easy, no mess, and I look good. And so does the rest of the bathroom! I can clean everything else another day!. *Thumbsup*

MUSICAL BREAK!!

Ahh, I read the news today, oh boy... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xljFT44Y1Y

VITAL STATS:

*Delight* Ohhhh, happy day! I'm awaiting the return of Jess with our dinner: http://www.buffalonews.com/business/article752948.ece Yup, I'm gonna eat that, probably as soon as I hit "save entry" on this.

*Bullet**Check* After WDC gets that hockey emoticon up and going, can we get a taco emoticon? Please? Pleeeease? And while I've got that pseudo-emoticon up, the Sabres are at Boston for the first time since that Lucic scumbag took out Ryan Miller. Coincidentally, Miller's not playing tonight since he's had a string of consecutive games played recently. Hopefully the Sabres play as well as they've played recently...hopefully.

*Cart* Somedays, it's a pain in the balls being the "manager on duty" at a pharmacy, and some days it's more like a papercut on the inside of your lip. Typically, the store manager oversee the retail part of the sales floor, and the pharmacist is in charge of everything behind the pharmacy counter. See, there's too many things going on in that pharmacy that a manager just shouldn't have to deal with, and vice versa for the pharmacist. So I get called over to the pharmacy for a customer service issue. No big deal...it's a elderly lady. She immediately tells me she "does business at another pharmacy" and would like me to explain to her how she should "go about having her scripts sent to this location". Information I know not a damn thing about. I'm sure it's not hard and all, but really, that's not my job. I tell this woman I don't really know much about it, and she spits back, "Well, you're the store manager! Don't you know what goes on in the store?" (And I'm not really the store manager, soooo...) "Yes, I do, on the sales floor. I'm not a trained pharmacy worker though, so you probably don't want me talking to you about anything related to the pills, scripts and anything else going on back there." Grabbed the pharmacist, and end scene.

And lo and behold, dinner's here and my belly's ready, so I'm gonna get outta here. Peace, and GOODNIGHT NOW!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIt2CdbBo_w

© Copyright 2012 Fivesixer (UN: fivesixer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fivesixer has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/748596-This-ones-about-the-news