*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/748682-Of-all-the-things-Ive-lost-I-miss-my-mind-the-most
Rated: ASR · Book · Biographical · #1469467
Welcome to Whatsit's Wild World.
#748682 added March 9, 2012 at 10:16pm
Restrictions: None
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.
Things we lose have a way of coming back to us in the end, if not always in the way we expect.
~ J.K. Rowling,

Wednesday before last, I was late to work. I overslept. I didn't leave for work until 8:30 and got there about 5 minutes until nine. The last thing I did before I left my house was go into the family room and turn the TV off. I picked the remote up off the table where it stays. I didn't even turn around, I just pointed the remote behind me and turned the TV off, then laid the remote back down in almost the exact same spot from which I picked it up.

Well, that was the last we saw of the remote for a while. When we went to turn the TV on to watch the news that night, we couldn't find it anwhere. I distinctly remembered lying it back down on the table. In fact, I would go as far as to say I have a thing about it staying on that table because it so easy to lose track of.

We looked everywhere: the couch cushions, recliner cushions, under the couch and recliners, on top of the TV, in the laundry room, in the bathroom, and even in the refrigerator. It seemed to vanish off the face of the earth. I had thoughts of remote-stealing ghosts and burglers with a penchant for useless items, so strange did this seem to me. It wouldn't have bothered me so much had I not so distinctly remembered putting the darn thing back on the table.

The problem is that the power switch on the TV doesn't work, so the TV will not turn on or off without the remote. We have lost the remote before when the TV was already on, which means that it stayed on for a couple of days until we located it, but at least we could watch it. Since hubby and I both are teachers, when we get home from fooling with hard- headed young-uns all day, it is somewhat of a relief to mindlessly stare at the tube.

Anyway . . . we lost the remote Wednesday before last. After a week, this past Tuesday night my husband ordered a new one from Dish Network for twenty dollars. Twenty dollars! We just sucked it up and ordered it. And guess what? The next morning we found the old one. It was in Matt's room. He had wandered off with it without realizing it. Grr! The new remote showed up this evening. It was on our porch when we arrived home. I suppose now we have his and hers. Now isn't that something?

© Copyright 2012 Mrs. Whatsit (UN: mrswhatsit at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Mrs. Whatsit has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/748682-Of-all-the-things-Ive-lost-I-miss-my-mind-the-most